In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning Model 52 Problem

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
I recently purchased a new-in-box Browning Model 52 that was produced in the early 90s by Miroku of Japan. I intend to shoot the rifle, so I attempted to insert the bolt into the receiver, but it wouldn't slide in as described in the owner's manual. The manual recommends holding the trigger to the rear while sliding the bolt into place. Holding the trigger to the rear lowers the sear and allows the bolt to travel along the races and into the receiver. Trouble is, there's absolutely no play in the trigger. As a secondary method, the manual recommends holding down the trigger sear with a screwdriver while inserting the bolt. Again, the sear simply won't depress.

Much like original Models 52, these reproduction Browning 52s, and their sister Winchester rifles, came with a 2-screw mechanism that allows the trigger to be externally adjusted for weight and travel. One screw changes the weight of pull; the other adjusts trigger travel. I suspect the trigger travel is fully adjusted to one extreme, which is limiting trigger travel and sear movement, and this won't allow the bolt to slide into the receiver. However, before monkeying with the mechanism, I wanted to see if any of you have any suggestions on how to deal with this. Anyone have one of these rifles who can provide any advice.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd think it was test fired so it should have fit at one time. Maybe Bubba fiddled with the adjustments at some point in the last what 30 years. Perhaps the factory grease has turned to crud/shellac. A good solvent cleaning might help, followed by careful lubrication.

They are adjustments it will cause no harm in trying. Be sure to use a good fitting proper tool on the screws, and don't force things.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sticks in my head that you can press FORWARD on the trigger.
    Or was that a Remington?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to this U Tube Video, HC is correct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RijYQKtChQo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the quick responses. That YouTube video is 180 degrees out from the Browning owner's manual, but I'll give it a try. Nothing to lose. I'll post the results later. Again, thanks.
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's how to do it, Lift the bolt and while in that position pull the trigger, hold it there and close the bolt, then with the bolt closed hold the trigger forward, open the bolt and remove it. To install it pull the trigger, then insert a screwdriver into the rear of the receiver and depress the sear. While holding the sear down push the trigger forward and while holding it remove the screwdriver and install the bolt
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to read, and understand ALL of the instructions if you have them. There is also a need to push down something with a small screw driver while inserting the bolt. I have a Miroku Winchester 52 with box and papers. The external adjustment trigger is called the "Micro Motion Trigger". If you do not have the book, find one.

Best
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The video fails to mention it's only for the 52's with the MicroMotion triggers
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW: I have a Japanese made 52 and that YouTube video works on mine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK, I pulled the Model 52 out of the safe and tried to manipulate the trigger both fore and aft....absolutely no movement!! The sear never moved either and I cannot depress it with a screwdriver. So, I'm still unable to insert the bolt. Unfortunately, I ran out of time and, rather than do something I'll regret, the rifle went back into the safe to await a later, more informed attempt at inserting the bolt. I'll take the rifle out this weekend to see if I can adjust the MicroMotion trigger adjustment enough to allow enough play to insert the bolt.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a hell of a nice little rifle. Don't mess it up!
    My advice, go to a good gunsmith. You are missing something very simple, or there is a problem.[;)]
    Not trying to be a wise guy, just trying to save you a headache.