In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 43

patt7638patt7638 Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
Anyone know what year Winchester started to factory drill and tap
for 'scope mounts?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I recently acquired this rifle chambered for 218 Bee. The receiver h is drilled for a one piece scope base. How do I go about finding such a base? The receiver has 3 holes drilled and taped. Should I take it to a gunsmith and have another hole drilled? Weaver doesn't list such an item.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Winchester43 Hornet that came with a Bausch & Lomb 8 Scope with it. It came with the scope off and I am a little confused on how I put the scope back on the gun. It has a steel flat bar with one end curved and a thumb screw. It looks to me like the curved end should go under the front mount curing upwards and the back just slide under the rear mount, line up the hole and put the thumb screw on. Only problem is the bar does not set flat against the scope bottom as you would think it should. It will get tight but just does not look right. Looks to me like the adjustments at made at the base mounts, none on the scope. I just need to know how the spring or the piece that is flat with one end curved up should be mounted.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What's a model Winchester 43 in 32-20 gonna be worth? Anybody know where to find one?

Harley
    Mountain Magic
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Order an undrilled blank base - have it drilled to match the existing holes in your receiver

Than mount what ever scope you like that fits the gun and your needs

Don't drill any more holes in the gun - please

Mike
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the serial number on the subject rifle?

I suspect that it was not originally factory drilled & tapped for a scope. Winchester never put just three holes in the receiver of a Model 43 rifle for a scope mount.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr Mike is correct. Problem is, that the Model 43 Win. Is a long out of production, obsolete rifle. All rifle mounts aren't the same. External dimensions, and layout of the receiver are not uniform. From rifle to rifle.

Best thing to do IMHO. Is to talk one of Brownells, customers service folks. They are the largest supplier of gunsmithing tools, accessories and parts in the U.S.

Ask him if they carry any mount, blank or not, for the Model 43 Win. You will be ahead of the game, if you can find any mount that will fit. A competent gunsmith. Can drill additional holes in the predrilled mount. To match the existing holes in the receiver.

218 Bee is not a heavy kicking cartridge. You might get away with just 2 screws. Securing the mount to the receiver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The serial number is 22656A. It seems to me that a scope has never been mounted on this rifle. I'm pretty sure the stock is not original. You can look it up on GB 780602661.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might look at one piece Redfield #43R - Weaver 2 piece #18

added You should look at larger gunshows, there is usually a dealer or two with shoe boxes of NOS mounts. I would also post in the wanted forum.

I would de-grease the receiver and use some epoxy under the rear mount if you are using the Weaver system.

added 2 I was thinking that matching the shape of the receiver is the hard part. Plugging and drilling new holes in the mounts especially aluminium ones isn't all that hard. Way better than drilling more holes in the rifle IMHO.
  • Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely not the original stock.

Talk about holes. I've got 7 across the top and 4 for a side mount scope. Only using 4 on top for a weaver 43 and 18.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your comments especially rufe-snow. Redfield does not list base 43R these days, no surprise there. There are two holes in the front and one in the back. I think I will use 2 weaver #18 bases, the rear base will only have 1 screw but the front base will have 2. I looked for 43R on the internet and drew a blank.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by patt7638
    The serial number is 22656A. It seems to me that a scope has never been mounted on this rifle. I'm pretty sure the stock is not original. You can look it up on GB 780602661.

That rifle was not factory drilled & tapped for mounting a scope, so it is anyone's guess as to what (if any) pre manufactured mount might fit it. You are correct about the stock.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    You might look at one piece Redfield #43R - Weaver 2 piece #18

added You should look at larger gunshows, there is usually a dealer or two with shoe boxes of NOS mounts. I would also post in the wanted forum.

I would de-grease the receiver and use some epoxy under the rear mount if you are using the Weaver system.

Both of the mounts you mention were made to match up with the (4) holes that Winchester drilled & tapped in the frame rings on the later production Model 43 rifles. Neither one of them is likely to match up to the hole pattern on that rifle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well folks the weaver bases, #18, are mounted. The front base contains 2 screws and the rear base contains 1 screw. It works great. All screws holes lined up perfectly. I want to thank rufe snow in particular.