In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pre-64 Win 94 darken the wood?

user1919user1919 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have a pre-64 Win 94 on its way. Is there an easy and safe way to make the wood either/both "darker" and/or more "red" looking?
It has a relatively simple grain, so I don't think anything will bring it out much. The bluing is fantastic and I don't want to harm that in any way either.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get another stock and fool with that one, you will loose money ruining the factory one.

Yes there are products that will redden the striped wood and you can also stain/oil/varnish the stripped wood about any color you want.

LMCHERRY - Laurel Mountain Forge Cherry stain, 4 oz and LinSpeed oil hand rubbed in several coats.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/wood-finishes/gunstock-oil-prod8004.aspx

Added Would it be this coin by chance? 1871-1971 W 94 NRA

23123852_2.jpg?v=8D2BC7F080D0240
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no safe way to do anything to the wood, other than wipe with a soft cloth occasionally.

Neal
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANY changes you make to a pre-64 Win, will decrease its value, even if it is shooter grade, not collector grade.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,352 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I know this does not address your question, bit I agree with He Dog, and Charlie.

Anything you modify on that pre-64 will lower the value. If it was me, and I did not like the wood I would do what Charlie suggested, and get on GB and purchase a stock/forearm set.

I do that with my S&W revolvers. I store the factory stocks away, and buy some user ones.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    user1919,

quote:I know this does not address your question, bit I agree with He Dog, and Charlie.

Anything you modify on that pre-64 will lower the value. If it was me, and I did not like the wood I would do what Charlie suggested, and get on GB and purchase a stock/forearm set.

I do that with my S&W revolvers. I store the factory stocks away, and buy some user ones.

This gathers up the replies and gets them in one place. Even though I do Not collect anything, I would suggest leaving the original wood alone or replace it as suggested just for the sake of keeping the original, original.

But, and here's the big but; if you buy a new stock set be prepared to do some judicious fitting of both the forearm and butt stock. This is not difficult work but it require some knowledge and skills in order to accomplish the replacement correctly.

Best.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    French Red was the stain that Winchester used on walnut to give it that reddish tint.Depending on the condition of the original stock will depend on what you should or shouldn't do.
  • Options
    user1919user1919 Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a pre-64 but it's not perfect. I picked it up for $720 basically because of the condition it's in. However, someone at sometime decided to insert an NRA medallion/coin in the stock. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that if anything. Other than that it is in perfect condition. I'm not going to strip and refinish the wood. I guess my only option would be to purchase another stock set. There's no way to tell if that's pre-64 or not. or Just buy another rifle, but I don't want to spend $1500. There has to be something out there that just darkens wood without a lot of hassle.