In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 Thumb Safety...follow up

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
This thread is meant to be as a follow up for my previous thread that is linked here...

https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=713312

As per Forge Monkey and others advice, I ordered a new safety from the original manufacturer of the pistol. The part arrived and I full expected to have to make a few very light strokes with a file across a few surfaces to ensure a proper fit. Oddly enough....it droped straight in.

Now I was very weary of this, as I have always believed that there really is no such thing as "drop in" parts on most 1911's despite the fact that my pistol was in fact built to spec off ww2 prints.

Anyway. It dropped in and works like a champ. Full function checks work the way they are supposed to, both grip and manual safeties have been tested independently and both work just fine. No movement whatsoever of the hammer or sear when pulling the trigger and no movement when I take the thumb safety off anymore.

Now the odd part.....

Prior to this change, the trigger had a very nice crisp break at 5 and 1/2 pounds. Now for whatever reason, it breaks (every time I have tried now) at a very crisp 4 and 3/4 pounds. I am not sure why this has happened...thoughts?

EDIT: I dont mind the lighter trigger....its just fine with me.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO when you installed the new safety. It changed the interface between the hammer and sear somehow? This might not be a positive result?

Make sure you have done all possible tests, that you can. To make sure the pistol is still safe. If the interface between the sear and hammer has been affected negatively. It could result in a ND.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A file is not a the best choice for fitting parts/deburring. Stones in high grit numbers and assorted shapes like: round, half round, square, cone and flat.

Eli Whitney is smiling.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    when shooting factory Hard Ball ammo in NRA matches
    of bulls eye pistol the trigger pull must be 4 pounds to be legal

this
    is does not mean ever trigger pull 4 pound or more is a SAFE trigger but does imply it could be safe if the new parts are to MIL spec
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought with the reduction in trigger pull-weight; have you tried doing a hammer push-off test? With the chamber empty put the hammer on full-cock place the thumb safety in the off position and grip the pistol to release the grip-safety, do not touch the trigger. Use the other thumb to try to push the hammer forward into its drop motion. If there is any movement, drops to half-cock safety notch or drops fully you have a problem that needs to be addressed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Just a thought with the reduction in trigger pull-weight; have you tried doing a hammer push-off test? With the chamber empty put the hammer on full-cock place the thumb safety in the off position and grip the pistol to release the grip-safety, do not touch the trigger. Use the other thumb to try to push the hammer forward into its drop motion. If there is any movement, drops to half-cock safety notch or drops fully you have a problem that needs to be addressed.

The pistol passes this test. The hammer stays in the cocked position with no movement.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    quote:Originally posted by kidthatsirish
    This thread is meant to be as a follow up for my previous thread that is linked here...

https://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=713312

As per Forge Monkey and others advice, I ordered a new safety from the original manufacturer of the pistol. The part arrived and I full expected to have to make a few very light strokes with a file across a few surfaces to ensure a proper fit. Oddly enough....it droped straight in.

Now I was very weary of this, as I have always believed that there really is no such thing as "drop in" parts on most 1911's despite the fact that my pistol was in fact built to spec off ww2 prints.

Anyway. It dropped in and works like a champ. Full function checks work the way they are supposed to, both grip and manual safeties have been tested independently and both work just fine. No movement whatsoever of the hammer or sear when pulling the trigger and no movement when I take the thumb safety off anymore.

Now the odd part.....

Prior to this change, the trigger had a very nice crisp break at 5 and 1/2 pounds. Now for whatever reason, it breaks (every time I have tried now) at a very crisp 4 and 3/4 pounds. I am not sure why this has happened...thoughts?

EDIT: I dont mind the lighter trigger....its just fine with me.

The above in red is most likely the reason,,,,,,,,military spec parts were made to interchange between other military spec pistols. Albeit, the military weapon tolerances were more forgiving re wear and tear.

(The reduced trigger pull weight),,,,,,,,,,,,did you replace any of the 'pins' re the hammer or sear, etc. or do any polishing ??? Also, you said one of the hammer hooks was longer than the other,,,,,did you correct this ??? ,,,,,,,,Or maybe the disassembly and cleaning helped,,,[:0]

EDIT ,,,,,,,,I'm interested in the new thumb safety 'pin' ( the one that goes thru the frame) diameter vs the old one and the frame holes diameter. The 'gap' between the sear and safety could be the result of worn pin or oversized holes; i.e. 'tolerance stacking',,,,,,,,,an inquiring mind wants to know. [^]

Forge, I did not mic the diameter of the "pin" on the new safety, I did notice it was a much more snug fit to slide it in the frame than the older safety.

Also, I did even the hooks out with a stone....so that is likely why the trigger pull is lightened I suppose.[B)][:D]