In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

some mauser help please

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
Helping a friend get rid of some rifles from an old friends estate. One of the rifles that he has listed is a mauser presentation grade factory engraved rifle in 7x57, or so the description of his guns says so. He mentions that the serial number is 12580, but is not visible anywhere on the gun, still in the stock. The gun is very nice, and I'd like to help them get what the gun is worth, or close too it, but am not sure how to verify if the engraving is factory or not. I would like some help with locating the serial number, and also tips on finding out if it is actually factory engraved. I pulled the bolt out, and there are no numbers stamped on it, guessing that I need to pull the gun out of the stock to possibly find a serial number, or is it hidden in the engraving like the caliber is? Is there a data base for Mauser dom's? Thanks Fellas!

Todd

The gun is not in my possession. I'll get some pics as soon as I can. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mauser military rifles in 7 X 57, date to the early 1890's. In South America, at least until the 1950's. Many different variations, and manufacturers. If all the original markings have been removed? When it was refurbished and engraved? Going to e difficult to identify, and discern DOM.

After taking the rifle out of the stock. Take quality close-up photos and post them to the forum.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    like 'Rufe' said we need good pix's to help you. not all mauser's were military production and with so many makers a serial # is worthless. Back in the day you could 'waltz' (pun intended [:D])in to one of the government arsenals and buy actions to build commercial rifles with. pix's of any 'proof' marks under the stock will help.

mausercentral.net
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would love to see pic's. I find it unusual to not have the bolt # to the action on the base of the bolt handle. Usually the military ones are 4 digit serial #'s and they just start over. I think some of the screws on my bring back S 1936 are even last 2 digit matching stamped.

I have the book "Mauser Bolt Rifles" by Ludwig Olsen. I don't recall seeing any factory engraved ones - but I haven't look in it for years - great excuse to read it again.

There was a site for Mauser's, it had lapsed and lost a bunch of stuff but I think it might be back up in some form.

added If you think this is a nice engraved rifle, then consider getting really good pic's taken by someone with the equipment and skill to do a good job, even if you have to pay a little because you don't know anyone you can get to do it for free - you will recover that money in a higher bid.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The information I had is all lost now with the old Mauser Central forum, but there were less that a dozen? factory presentation rifles in 7x57 that were awarded to distinguished Nazi soldiers.
    No one on this side of the pond knew of their existence until a GI bring back surfaced with capture papers, and the presentation papers. I recall something was posted here on the GB forums about it, but all the searches I've tried don't turn up anything here, or on Google.
    Like Mike said, there were pre war factory sporters that could be ordered with a number of options. Then you had post war "cigarette rifles" that out of work gunsmiths did up for GI's.
    The 5 digit serial number sounds more like a commercial FN, or CZ though. Without pics of the rifle and proof marks, it's anyone's guess.
    I'm with Charlie, get some pics posted!