In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Smith & Wesson 68-1

PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have come across a Smith & Wesson revolver, marked Model 68-1, caliber .357 Magnum, 4 inch barrel, fixed sights, blue finish, serial number ADE44xx. Standard narrow trigger, hammer standard non-target wood grips. It seems to be not listed in most data bases, e.g. Bluebook. Some chatter suggests a "681", mis-marked, but I don't think it is so. Might be unusual? About an honest 90% gun. Any idea of value?

Comments

• Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What frame size is it?

J, K, L, N?

681 is stainless where 581 is blued.

Can you post some pics?

Found this on the web. Looks like CHP special ordered them.

https://revolverguy.com/missing-link-smith-wesson-model-68/
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson by Supica & Nahas, the M68 was only made in .38 special. However, they also say that a M38-1 has been reported, but not verified. If your gun can be verified as a genuine M68-1 with .357 mag barrel, it would be a sought-after variation.

An original box with intact label, or factory letter, likely would be needed. In any case, the authors of the SCSW would be interested if you can document everything.

Neal

EDIT: All 581's & 681's were recalled by S&W to correct a problem with the yoke. The factory hand stamped the yoke to indicate that this work was done.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mark G
    What frame size is it?

J, K, L, N?

681 is stainless where 581 is blued.

Can you post some pics?

Found this on the web. Looks like CHP special ordered them.

https://revolverguy.com/missing-link-smith-wesson-model-68/

Thanks! Good read.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PA Shootist
    I have come across a Smith & Wesson revolver, marked Model 68-1, caliber .357 Magnum, 4 inch barrel, fixed sights, blue finish, serial number ADE44xx. Standard narrow trigger, hammer standard non-target wood grips. It seems to be not listed in most data bases, e.g. Bluebook. Some chatter suggests a "681", mis-marked, but I don't think it is so. Might be unusual? About an honest 90% gun. Any idea of value?

According to Mark G's, great link. The Model 68's, were a limited edition made for the CHP. The kicker is, that they were made in 38 Special only, with 6" barrels. The serial number dates it to the fall of 1983. During the production run of the CHP's, 38 specials. Unless some body in the past has screwed with it. It really appears to be, a anomaly.

IMHO, if you can buy it at a realistic price. I would jump on it. I'm sure any collector of S & W revolvers. Would spring big bucks for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The gun shop is going to list it on GunBroker, I'll post the auction number when it is up. They at this shop often come to me with questions about older and/or unusual items, I'm old enough to remember when they were new! I'm not really a collector, and have maybe a few too many guns anyway, and have been spending money on an airplane project. The revolver is a K frame. I have read the other articles mentioned above, and saw another question or two about 68-1 revolvers, which went un-answered, mentioning possible mis-marking, CHP models, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Closer inspection and measurements, this revolver is an L frame, Model 581, 4 inch barrel with full underlug. The stamping is a bit crude, with what looks like a 6 underlying a slightly larger 5, then a slightly smaller 8, same stamp size as the underlying 6, a dash, and 1. Easy to see why it would look like 68-1, and it probably should be 581 (no dash). A factory stamping error?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As R/S mentioned, the serial number dates it to 1983, and the 581 no dash version went from 1980 until the -1 in 1986.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The S&W 581 is now listed Auction Number 784759510. Unfortunately they couldn't get a camera to focus on the (apparently) mis-stamped model number.
  • Options
    vrichardvrichard Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a Commemorative S&W model 68-1.over stamped mdl.66.
    38 special.
    Dick
    100_0027.jpg
  • Options
    vrichardvrichard Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by PA Shootist

You have a S&W 681. on a L frame.