In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Browning model 71??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
Up pops a local Browning model 71 grade 1 carbine NIB with 2 boxes of ammo for sale from a LGS @ $1,000. After doing a search on GB, and a web search all I can find are high grade models for this gun. It's a really cool rifle, but do you guys think it's worth the asking price? I realize that it's in the eye of the beholder, but there are so few examples I can't get an idea of a value. Thanks in advance..[:)]

Todd

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say that's an OK price. If it's off a bit, maybe $100.00 tops and my bet is due to the oddball caliber you could probably swing that much off - tell the you need the $$$ to buy dies and such.

I have the high grade rifle version, got it here a few years back for what I think was a really good price of $1,400.00.

The 71 is pretty much the same as the Pedersoli 86/71 in 45/70. I have one of those and it's a heck of a lot easier on the shoulder. That 348 and the Browning steel buttplate give you a pretty good pop.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found one LNIB for $850, yours is NIB with at least $50 worth of ammo. What about 1/2 the price of a new fancy one. I'd say if you are going shoot it and or hunt with it you will loose less value with the cheaper one - and will likely shoot just as good as the looker.

I have shot a lot of old 86's. I never wanted to carry one up a mountain.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Japanese made, replica Winchesters levers. Like the 71. Are low production, big buck guns. You will never loose a dime, as long as you keep it the same condition you bought in.

Take a look at the Blue Book. What the MSRP of the repo 94's, Are selling for now.

That said, take Fletcher's advice. The 348 is a killer on both ends. Sell the two boxes, of factory ammo. And invest in reloading dies. The only downside. Is the bullets are such an odd size. Jacketed bullets, will cost a fortune. Casting would be the only economical way, if you intend to do much shooting with it.
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last one I had 2 or 3 years ago I sold for 800 or 850 no ammo. If you are going to use it thats not to bad. About half the price or less of a comparable Winchester and you wouldnt want to shoot one in that condition. About 75.00 in ammo.