In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

vaquero bisley hammer replacement

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
can someone tell me the procedure for putting a bisley hammer in a new model vaquero. is it doable by someone who is fairly good with metal work and gun repair. all i have is hand tools, no lathes or milling machines.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be extremely careful! The hammer is not a drop in fit. It has to work in conjunction with the hand, and transfer bar. So that the cylinder rotates and is in alignment with the barrel. This is known, as "Timing". A "Range Rod" is used by gun smiths. To insure that the "Timing" is correct.

rugeraction.jpg
  • Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The grip frame has to be elongated behind the hammer. I use a milling machine with a small diameter end mill and square the corners up by hand file. Use the existing hand that is on the gun now.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks. im not going to modify my grip frame, think ill go with a super blackhawk hammer instead, thats suppose to be a drop in fit