In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

SKS windage adjustment problem

fastcarsgofastfastcarsgofast Member Posts: 7,179
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
I have my front sight adjusted all the way to the left. I am still hitting to the left, but I can?t make any more adjustments.

Besides an aftermarket rear sight is there anyway to resolve this issue? I really want to keep rifle as original as possible.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it was one of the high volume Chinese commercial imports, from the 90's. I wouldn't sweat it. They cranked them out, as quick as they could. To get as many as they could into the US. Before slick willy banned them.

Get a replacement rear housing cover. Mount a adjustable rear sight on it. So that the original rear housing cover will still be in good shape. The original adjustable rear sight leaf, can be easily removed. For clearance, for the replacement sight.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A company called Tech Sights makes a good looking sight You just remove the rear take down lever that holds the rear cover on and their bolt replaces it and secures the sight to the rifle. The reviews look good.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Williams used to offer their fiber optic "fire sight" for the SKS

They were very nice units back in the day

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, but I?ve looked into those options and that?s just not the route I want to go.

Would cutting the barrel down to ?paratrooper? length help?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt cutting the barrel off will fix your shooting left condition, shorter sight radius doesn't usually increase accuracy. It sure won't help keep it original any better than getting good sights. I think bending the barrel some is a viable solution for the china wonder weapon.

https://sites.google.com/site/peacefuldavesstuff/home/understanding-the-sights-on-your-sks-ak-47-rifle

added Good solution.
  • Options
    andrewsw16andrewsw16 Member Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As crude as it sounds, bending the barrel a fraction of an inch can cure your problem. Recenter the sight before you start the bending and just do a very little at a time. Bend a little and fire a few sighter shots, then bend it some more, until it is right on the bullseye.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I wound up having the front sight assembly canted ever so slightly and spot welded in place. Unless you really pay close attention it?s not even noticeable, and the sight picture is almost perfect.

Not a perfect fix, but as the saying goes perfection is the enemy of good enough.