In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Dacron filler?

notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in Ask the Experts
What is dacron filler and where may I find it. I intend to load some cast bullets in 30-30W. The charge I'm going for is 7-11grs. of Unique. That seems like I'll have a lot of empty case. Some say it'll work just fine but I think it may work better with some filler.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kapok was used as a case filler. Old life preservers or dog toys have had that for stuffing.

I never used it with Unique in any case with any charge - no need IMHO. If you are not using a gas checked bullet (again no need in a 30-30 with a 170 gr bullet) then make sure the base is free from bullet lube. That includes the side base if running a gas checked bullet barefoot.

added The Lyman 49th E. 311041 170 gr Unique start 7 gr 1240 fps 21,600 CUP Max 10.6 gr 1555 fps 35,500 CUP

They say their most accurate load was IMR-4198 18.0 gr 1602 fps 23,200 CUP. I would consider a Kapok filler for this load.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Local "Dollar Stores" sell cheap pillows. That use Dacron as a filler. 1 pillow, will last about 10 years.

I've used Dacron, over light loads of fast burning pistol powder, many times. For reduced loads in large capacity rifle cases.

There is one thing to consider though. Some folks maintain that this practice would cause "Rings" in the chamber. Although it never happened to me. You might consider, loading Cream of Wheat or Cornmeal. Between the Dacron and base of the bullet. To prevent possible ringing of the chamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay. Thanks guys. So Rufe, what you're saying is dacron on top of the powder the cornmeal on top of that? Do I have that right?
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm hand loading "gallery loads" for my 30/30. Went through the same dilemma you did about using fillers and general consensus was that I didn't need it for what I was trying to accomplish. I can dig up my load data from when I was testing things out but I played with 155, 135, and 115gr bullets over varying charges of Unique. I think I went as low as 5 grains with no failures or ignition issues.
    I don't think you need it.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Chris, that's what I've read but it usually comes with the suggestion to point the barrel up after chambering to settle the powder against the primer. That seems like something else to remember.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll load a few without any filler and try them out. These aren't gas checked. And I don't have the need for any kind of performance from these, just cheap trigger pullin'.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    Okay. Thanks guys. So Rufe, what you're saying is dacron on top of the powder the cornmeal on top of that? Do I have that right?

I just used Dacron. In large capacity BP cartridges. 30-30 is much smaller internally. Because of this it might work without any filler, between the powder and base of bullet.

I would make up some test loads. Say 10 each, with and without Dacron. See which gives you better accuracy. To me, it seemed you almost could see the difference. Between the load where the Dacron held the powder in place on top of the primer. And the load with powder loose in the case.

Burning rate of the powder, also might be a factor? Some pistol powders, have a substantial amount of Nitro as a component. Using those might be a factor, vis a vis slower burning powders. You could get away , with out anything holding the powder in direct contact with the primer.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The filler is to hold the powder on the primer in the bottom of the case, so it ignites like it's suppose to. Without it, the powder is laying stretched out down the side of the case. The primer "can" ignite it all at once, causing an over pressure spike just like it was over loaded.
    Look at load data for TrailBoss powder, it was made for what you want to do.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall a lot of stories from years past of very high pressure from small powder loads in large cases. Don't hear much about it these days. I suspect that at least part of the cause was positioning of the powder charge so the primer ignited most or all of it at once. I also recall at least some data indicated that the problem was more likely with magnum primers than with standard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm using winchester l-r primers which are hot for a standard primers. I just finished loading 20 w/o filler. I've got 20 more cases ready to go when I get some filler. I went with 7grs of Unique. I sorta wished I went with 9 or 10 gr.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by notnow
    I'm using winchester l-r primers which are hot for a standard primers. I just finished loading 20 w/o filler. I've got 20 more cases ready to go when I get some filler. I went with 7grs of Unique. I sorta wished I went with 9 or 10 gr.

A ball of Dacron the size of a quarter. Than use a 1/4 inch wooden dowel, to compress it on the powder. To keep the powder from shifting. Around the case, so the powder is sitting on the primer.