In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W Model 41 DOM

reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone here please tell me the date of manufacture for a S&W Model 41 with S/N BMC0998? Thanks!

Edit - OK, I narrowed it down a bit. Found my original, new purchase sales receipt, extremely faded but says 08-13-93

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since S & W went to the 3 letter alphanumeric, serial number format. In the 80's. Trying to decipher actual DOM of their guns, has been a pain in the butt.

The "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", which is considered the bible by S & W collectors.

Lists "TZU", as the alpha prefix, used on all Smith autos in 1993.

I would give the Smith & Wesson, customer service folks a call. To verify that BMC0998 DOM, is 1993. As I have run across another reference, that dates the BMC prefix to 1998.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. I was hoping you would reply. I saw the same reference to BMC = 1998 online but I couldn't reconcile that because I knew absolutely, thru a memory connection to an event in my life, that I had the pistol in late 1993....just couldn't remember how long I had it until I found the receipt.

I had no idea I could call S&W for the info. I just did and was told the DOM ws 2/16/1993.

Thanks. -Steve
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reload999
    Thanks. I was hoping you would reply. I saw the same reference to BMC = 1998 online but I couldn't reconcile that because I knew absolutely, thru a memory connection to an event in my life, that I had the pistol in late 1993....just couldn't remember how long I had it until I found the receipt.

I had no idea I could call S&W for the info. I just did and was told the DOM ws 2/16/1993.

Thanks. -Steve

Thanks for the heads up. Shows how wacky. Trying to date DOM, using that (3) letter alpha serial number prefix. [xx(] Only way to be really spot on, is by calling Smith customer service.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have in the past bought several S&W's that were new in the box but had sat on the shelf for more than 20 years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, I understand; I've purchased some older ones too, (but not as old as yours) that's why I didn't make any assumptions on DOM.

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I have in the past bought several S&W's that were new in the box but had sat on the shelf for more than 20 years.