In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help with S&W Airweight

goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
Wanting to fix up a buddies S&W Airweight 38spl. He is starting chemo and want to get this thing pretty for him. I don?t know model or specifics. Number on bottom of grip is 104### and there is a number when you pull cylinder down, 31###. It needs a new hammer and new grips. Cylinder is pretty tight don?t think that needs work. Any help figuring model, age, etc so I can order/find parts would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 37 Airweight Chiefs Special made from 1954 to 1995.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The SN is the number on the bottom of the grip. If you can read it, most likely it should have round stocks. As it was made in 1956 (according to SCSW), I would hope to find diamond stocks for it.

It may be worth paying a professional to do the work; he can check it out before you spend money on parts that may need fitting.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks so far fellas! Looks like I need part# 39140000 which is no longer made. Looks like I?ll be digging around for a little while.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have only seen one or two and never had one apart. I did score a spare hammer for my model 53 on ebay some time back for a very good good price. I also scored a K-22 cylinder and crane at a gun show for $10 - needs a some mods to make the cylinder work (extended). You should post on the wanted forum. I'm guessing the correct grips and hammer will hard to find and costly when you do.

Different part listed here for the hammer, might be the difference between a pre 37.
    http://www.vivasandson.com/m37.pdf

Best of luck, hope the chemo goes well.

added It might be a poorly done "bobbed" job on the hammer. I sort of agree that j-frame parts should fit, lots of used hammer's around that would be cheap to try and fit.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Model 37's of that vintage. Were made lite so that they would be easy to carry concealed. Unfortunately, they weren't very durable.

I'm speaking from experience. Bought one in excellent original condition. It went out of time, and spat lead. From just a little shooting on my part. Aluminum frame stretched, affecting the linkage between hand and ratchets

Yours missing a hammer, isn't a positive sign, IMHO. Even getting it operable, with correct fitting of replacement parts. Might not make it, safe to shoot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Any value to it as parts gun?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    Any value to it as parts gun?

The Gun Broker auction, would be the best place, to check prices on vintage S & W parts.

To see the prices actually realized. You have to access the completed auctions. To do this, you have to sign up to be a auction member. If you haven't done this previously.

Might be able, to realize a tidy sum. By parting out the pre M-37. As I noted previously. They were not made with durability in mind. I'm sure a lot of folks, could use pre M-37 parts.

Be advised, selling the stripped frame. Would be just like selling a operable firearm. As far as the badge boys are concerned. Going through a FFL, etc.etc.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Grips I can understand, what is wrong with the hammer?
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any "J" frame parts should work.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    Grips I can understand, what is wrong with the hammer?

spur on the hammer sheared off.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hammer would have virtually no use on a self defense pistol. Some of them come without a hammer spur or an internal hammer. I suggest cleaning, reassembling and test firing it. Hammers on similar pistols are sometimes intentionally removed.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does the location of the break allow it to be ground smooth and used?
    Lots of revolver hammer spurs have been removed on purpose