In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Problem with a Lee hand ERGO Prime

Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in Ask the Experts
Have a hand ERGO prime. I have tried put apx. 800 small pistol CCI 500 primers through it. At the VERY least, I experience 5-8 jams per 100 box of primers.

I have cleaned it, held it every conceivable position, shaken, babied it, did everything but throe it out in the street.

And they aren't easy jams to clear, most involve prying the m out after they turn on edge. Dangerous as well.

The brass is once fired commericial from an indoor range.

Any suggestions ?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some Lee tools are designed better than others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir4FozOhS7c

Perhaps you should look down the hole to make sure the primers are in the correct orientation before inserting the case. You might check it for burrs in the path. Make sure that the shell holder fits in the tool properly and also fits the cases correctly. A slight misalignment/burr might flip the primers on their side as they pass threw the shell holder. You might check the cases to insure they have a slight champher to make insertion easier.

I use the Lyman 310 tool to prime all my rifle & pistol cases.
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only use the Lee Ram Primer. If you reload a little ~ a few boxes of cartridges - it always worked and it seated the primer uniformly flat in the primer pocket much better than any thumb type or big press priming tool.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee changed the design, of their hand priming tools awhile back. Had so much trouble, with the new one. I went back to using the one that I bought years ago. Identical to the one in the picture below. It seems that they have changed the cam surface on the ram. That pushes the primers in place. Making it much harder to seat primers correctly.

IMHO, use the one that's giving you trouble. For target practice. And buy one of the old ones, from fleabay.

807875.jpg
  • Options
    Cornflk1Cornflk1 Member Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a small gate that pops up when you prime, between the primer tray and the actual priming ram. I guess it's to keep the whole lot from going off if one pops while being inserted into a case.

Mine has a broken piece that keeps one side from holding on. I had to use tape to keep it in place.

I like the hand priming system myself, but these new Lee ones aren't as good as the oldies were...