In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

10 ga Ithaca side by side Damascus barrels

4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
I don't know the last time this thing was shot, like to get an idea of someone to look at this before I shoot it. Anyone in Northeast Florida to look at it before I pull the trigger.

Comments

• Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't personally recommend them, but based on their webpage these guys look good:

http://www.superior-gunsmithing.com/about.html
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't shoot it unless you have some 2&7/8 inch black powder shells.
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - I have used Damascus barreled shotguns for several decades - but no longer do so. I have never had a 10 gauge Ithaca or even seen one. But the Ithaca Damascus I know about were all "wire-cable" wrap barrels which much more desirable than "flat-strap" wrap barrels.

The gunsmith that knew his stuff and had the equipment or access to the testing procedures lived in Waldo, Florida - but retired long ago - if even still alive. I know nothing about the shop "HenryOReilly" has the contact information for. But at a very minimum they must know how to determine if the barrels are still firmly joined together - and that takes more than just looking at it. And they must inspect the bores with fiber optic equipment- just looking down the bores won't do. If the bores were not thoroughly cleaned after a day of hunting - the bores can be pitted - which is not a good thing especially with Damascus.

Even if the Ithaca is mechanically sound - finding 10 gauge black powder shotgun shells is going to be a major undertaking - unless you are OK with getting into loading them yourself. I don't care what you have heard about using "low-brass" smokeless shotgun shells in a Damascus barreled shotgun - its a fairy-tale - UNLESS it has RECENTLY been proofed by a reputable proof house - which isn't exactly inexpensive.

Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Question...

For the money and prestige and marque we are talking about why not have a nice Damascus double sleeved so the bore is safe and the outward appearance is maintained...

It can be undone by a competent Smith after installation can it not...

You go a gauge smaller and add a little weight.

And +1 on custom correct length bp equiv loads in paper hulls - looks and sounds and smells right and is safer.

IMHO

Mike
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might consider, "inserts" or "adapters". They enable you to shoot a smaller shell, "20 Gauge". In a 10 Gauge shotgun. It seems to be the safest way, to to utilize a old Damascus barreled shotgun. As the 20 Gauge, is so much smaller than the 10. By the time the shot charge leaves the insert. The pressure has been greatly reduced.

Below is a link to these inserts.

https://www.shotgunadapter.com/Product/56
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes "MrMike08075" - you can have sub-gauge tubes tubes put into a Damascus barreled shotgun - but it not inexpensive. I would not invest the money personally unless it was a high end Ithaca - L. C.Smith - Winchester - etc. --- or a nice field grade that belonged to my great-grandfather as a priceless heirloom.

"rufe-snow" - with a black powder shotshell, the point of peak dynamic pressure is 4-6 inches in front of the chamber. With a modern smokeless load it is about at the end of the shotgun's forearm. (Which is where the rupture most frequently occurs when modern shotshells are used in an old Damasacus shotgun.)[Damascus barrels are thicker at the chamber and tend to progressively thin down toward the muzzle.] I have no idea of what effect the inserts would have on the point of peak dynamic pressure using a modern smokeless load. In a modern steel barreled 10 gauge it would not be of any consideration.

Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    don't know anyone to check it out but try these guys for black powder shells, on bottom of the page.

http://gadcustomcartridges.com/
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    dog1944dog1944 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brileys in Houston works on these old 10ga guns
    Fit them with a full length 20 ga tube set with screw in's and a 3 inch chamber
    They will fit them to the gun safe to shoot and lite weight
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once contacted briley about dealer cost to do tubes or sleeves or inserts on my own Damascus bbl 10 gauge sxs Belgian meteor exposed hammer piece in the gunshop days and was appalled by the cost.

Finding the correct ammo / shells is hard but not impossible.

There are a bunch of folk who load every length and gauge and shot size and wad configuration and brass height imaginable.

I think Kent who used to be activ and make or bought up a bunch of smaller house / off / small / store brands made custom bp equiv paper hulls with high brass - but I am uncertain if they still do so.

Fiocchi used to do a bunch of obsolete and oddball Euro shotgun shells - I obtained my supply of 28 gauge slugs from them as well as my 9mm rimfire garden gun shot shells.

Somebody must be making the ammo - and somebody must do the sleeping or tubes cheaper than briley.

Mike