In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sent a shotgun to Holland

deerhidedeerhide Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited November 2018 in Ask the Experts
I sent a mdl.1893 Winchester to a chap in Holland. No money up front. He was worried about the condition and it was rough, so I figured he should see it first so..... It took 21 days to get to him.He sent the $$ we agreed to. He didn't want anyone to be mad at him over a bit of money and an old shotgun!

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You exported a firearm to a foreign / European country???

Can you walk us through that - and tell us what the batfe folks have to say about it???

Explain the import / export license application process and tell us what tarrifs and taxes and fees were involved???

Your FFL to an export house with correct licenses???

How did you verify he was active duty Dutch military with at least one year of service - as nobody else is permitted to own a gun.

Have you committed federal and international criminal acts???

Please let us know - I am intrigued.

Mike
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrmike08075
    You exported a firearm to a foreign / European country???

Can you walk us through that - and tell us what the batfe folks have to say about it???

Explain the import / export license application process and tell us what tarrifs and taxes and fees were involved???

Your FFL to an export house with correct licenses???

How did you verify he was active duty Dutch military with at least one year of service - as nobody else is permitted to own a gun.

Have you committed federal and international criminal acts???

Please let us know - I am intrigued.

Mike

Relax Mike, He's from the great white north. The BATF and the rest of the federalis. Don't mean poop up there.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sorry all...

I missed the fact that you are in Canada.

I was super worried one of us Yank's was in a bit of trouble with the law...

Firearms import and export and ownership in Holland is quite strict - even service members must belong to a special club for a year prior to purchase - most of this involves .22 target rifles

There are a small percentage of Dutch who hunt but again you must take a year's comprehensive training first and there are special storage and transport restrictions

Police inspect your home and the gun and the storage and ammo several times each year

Even airsoft requires a special club membership.

Replicas and toys are forbidden.

I worked for a Dutch company and have taken many of them target shooting here in the states.

I would love to learn about the process from our Canadian neighbor to the north - I have zero knowledge of how it works for you.

Again sorry for being so fast on the keyboard.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I packaged it good and paid the postage that's all. Guns are treated the same as a pair of second hand rubber boots.Canada Post is not allowed to ask what you are sending but there are notices in the post office that show and describe what you cannot send. Seems to me in sending that shotgun I had to include, in a stick - on to the Netherland Postal System, a declaration of firearm being contained and the type of license he had as a collector. It was a shootable shotgun, not an ornament, even though it had a 2 1/2 inch. chamber. The main restricted items by Canada Post are pressured containers, flammables and explosives. You can still mail some of these restricted, they just have to go by truck, which is regular mail. Express mail goes by air but costs so damn much!!! I don't believe many people pay much attention to rattle cans or even a box or two of ammo. Haha, I have had guns arrive with the end of the barrel sticking out of the package. Plus, unless the sender requires it, you don't sign for a parcel. This system seems to be ok with everyone here. It's a too complicated thing for me to send a firearm to the U.S.A so I never do, I know I could do a lot better $$wise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's amazing to those of us that live in the United States...

I salute your individual freedoms and personal rights.

Holland became much stricter after their mass shooting incident - I have never seen a Dutch residents certificate or license for purchase or ownership of firearms or related material.

Since it's so difficult here to do things or navigate the system of laws and roadblocks we always avoided the practice.

I appreciate your reply - I and others will find it educational.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A chap answered my for sale ad of an,as new, Savage 110 w/o adj. trigger,in .300mag. He's from Kentucky so I had answer with a no, too complicated.
    We used to have a gun registry in Canada that got done away with. We do have a Possession and Aquisition License, (a photo id PAL) that we need to possess or acquire guns and ammo. Handguns have a RPAL(Restricted) BUT, if I go to a dealer to buy a new gun they won't sell one without entering all your and the gun numbers etc. in a ledger. A ledger that is a dealer requirement.So I guess we still have a registry of another sort.If we do a private sale I just have to see your PAL and check the expiry date. We do have quite strict gun and ammo storage laws.