In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hydra Shock vs. Hollow Points

gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'd like to know everyone's opinion on the above two types of bulletsin 9mm for self defense. Which do you feel is better and why? Penetration? Stopping power with the least amount of shots? All opinoins and experiences welcome.-Marcus

Comments

• Options
    hawk1999hawk1999 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i like the black talon myself if you can find it ---the hawk
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can send you some Hydrashoks that didn't expand in a ballistic gel, about 9 rounds, I prefer the Hornady Custom ammo with the XTP, great bullet, I carry them in a Glock 31 in .357 sig and a Para-Ordnance 16-40, and have never had a miss fire or failure to expand.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawk 1999; In MA Black Talons are a no-no....some jurisdictions consider them "police only" and hold it against you if you are loaded with 'em. I think the 115gr.are better thsn the 147's. I keep them in the box and use silvertips.
  • Options
    BigTexBigTex Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    COR-BON! Thy rule the roost.
  • Options
    KhegglieKhegglie Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've heard good things about cor bon, but do they hammer aluminum frames?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speer gold dot work well for me.
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, if you're interested in increasing your stopping power, you should strongly consider getting a .45ACP;Having said that, if you stick with the 9mm,(or move up to a .45ACP) Hornady XTP are outstanding pistol bullets for rapid expansion at handgun velocities.NOTE: Using a .45/300grn Hornady XTP in a muzzleloader last year, a 200lb Buck dropped in its tracks with a neck shot at 155 yards. The bullet mushroomed perfectly to almost an inch wide, went through tough neck muscles, stopped / bulging out under the hide on the other side, having dumped it's entire energy load into the target.