In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Remington 700 cartridge size Question

BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I was shopping around for a new deer rifle recently, and for some reason I had convinced myself I wanted a .30-06Maybe for it's history, maybe for it's velocity.But in any case, being that I love Remington and am only looking to spend $350-$450, I looked at a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic.To my delight, it came in a lot more calibers than I thought. Specifically: .223 Rem, .243 Win, .270 Win, 7mm Rem Mag, .30-06,.308 Win, and .300 Win Mag.So, what are the factors I should consider when I decide which caliber I should get? I'd really appreciate any advice you might have. Even if you want to warn me off the 700 all together.I'm not ashamed to admit, I'm like a kid in a candy store. They all look so good! :-)

Comments

• Options
    VaughnVaughn Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    30.06 you can never go wrong ever. This cartridge has so many types of factory hunting and match loads its not even funny. You can take anything with an .06, well I would not try it for one shot on a Kodiak, but anything else, yes. I just got a REM. 700 ADL new for 299.99 and I'm using it this year for whitetail, w'ell see.
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I personally like the 243, and the 308 as both are short action cals. I like remington dont get me wront but for the money you might want to try the ruger m77...Hope this helps
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 21 '06 guns, 1 Remington, the rest Winchester, all in aftermarket stocks, I have a Stainless lightweight, 20" barrel, 7 pounds with sling, and scope, recoil is tolerable even with Hornady's Light Magnum rounds, I have killed , Elk, Mule Deer, Whitetail, Hogs, Coyotes, all with this gun. When I first started hunting my first gun was a .243, then I went to a .308 and hung with that till the late 80's, I hated the '06, thought it was overrated till I started reading up on it, and found there is no other cartridge with as many configurations as the '06, I bought a used Winchester that had been tuned and restocked, and I fell in love, I try to buy everyone in that caliber I find, provided I don't already have the same configuration. But then I hunt coyotes with a 7mm-08 and .308, but it is just my preference. Make a long story short, you CANNOT go wrong with an '06.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 700 ADL synthetic in 243 Win. Good shooting gun with an adjustable trigger. I went with the 243 because I personally like short action calibers and it has very little recoil. Very pleasant to shoot. Get 100 or 105 grain bullets and its plenty good for Whitetail. Winchester also makes a varmit load with a 55 grain bullet at 4025 fps. Tried a box of them and did not like them because they was not very accurate. My guess the twist rate is wrong for that fast a load. The 30-06 is a fine caliber just more than what I want to use mine for. Bottom line is no matter what you are hunting shot placement is more important than how powerful the caliber is. In my younger days I helped eat many a Whitetail that was killed cleanly with a 22 LR
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    06' is great but I am just going to play devils advocate for a moment. Consider this, a trip which you payed for to the west, a guide you pay seperate, air fair(if it's not included), all the gear you bought, all the NECESSARY exercise you endure prior (if your not from out that way), etc etc. Once you have packed all day, up and down and up and down and......you get the picture. The guide gets you a shot at the wall hanger your kids could be hearing stories about, and this is the last day out there. The evasive, crowned beast presents himself at say 300 tds, which can and will happen, and you now say to yourself,......SELF, is our caliber gonna drop this magnificent beauty, or are we gonna have to track till well after nightfall to find our hard earned prize? DON'T GET ME WRONG, the 30-06 remains popular because it is a cartridge adaptable to everything. BUT....then again is the 7mm REM MAG. If you are buying it new, why not get more power and flatter long range capability? Just offering another angle.
  • Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC has a good point. The .28 caliber cartridges (7MM magnum included) have some of the highest ballistic co-efficients of all calibers. It is a great caliber. The .280 Rem is excellent also if you plan to reload (higher velocities, within limits).Shot placement is No.1. Practice at a variety of ranges, especially if you have open land where you can place a target and walk away from it until you 'feel like shooting'. Estimate the range and shoot. High velocity and the knowledge that within x-yardage and x-yardage your bullet will not exceed or drop out of the 'kill' zone (is this called the 'point blank zero?) makes a clean shot easier.
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    A little more detail is needed. 1. What will you be primarily hunting (coyote, deer, hog, elk, bear, moose, etc.) 2. Where will you be primarily hunting (east, west, open country, brush country, etc.)? 3. At what distances are you proficient (100 yds, 200 yds, 300 yds, etc.)? 4. How do you handle recoil?Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are limiting the rifle to deer you might want to look at the 25-06 as well. It is one of the flattest shooting non magnums available. It doesn't have quite the recoil as the 30-06 but has tremendous knock down power.
  • Options
    edharoldedharold Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 308 is the only caliber above I don't have in Mdl700, plus a couple not listed. If I had to limit myself to one it would be the 300 Win Mag. It is not the best at super close range, but for everything else it is.
    "They that would give up liberty to obtain safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"Benj. Franklin, 1759