In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remington vs or ruger mkII target?

northernghostnorthernghost Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
looking for a new varmint rifle and can't decide between these two. Any info on either would be appreciated
Chuck Soldotna, Alaska

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Check out the Savage's. They are cheaper and more accurate. They are not as pretty as the Remmington!
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a sendero remington which is basicaly the same as the varmit version. I have shot against the Brownings, the Winchesters, the savages, and even the Accu-mark weatherbys. None will outshoot it, the only one that came close was the accu-mark. It grouped about the same. The barrles on the remingtons are about a contour 6 which is fairly heavy grade for a factory gun. Try ballistic tips, mine loves em. Just remember, you need to try all brands and designs of premium bullets available to find the most accurate one for your particular gun. The Remington also comes with an H&S precision stock. This stock is about $230 wholesale, keep that in mind when considering price. My 7mm mag shoots one ragged whole at 100 yds, if a magnum groups like that , what do you think a 22-250 or 223 will do? GO FOR THE MODEL 700. P.S. The remington has an adjustable trigger.
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no contest. buy the remington. they are the basis for more custom guns, and the gun more swat teams and military snipers use. what more do you want
  • Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with JustC, My Sendero 25-06 same as his 7 Mag, One raged hole..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree with JustC, My Sendero 25-06 same as his 7 Mag, One raged hole..
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love the rugers for the money but remingtons are much more popular at the shooting cometitions.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to disagree. I know some of you will flame me but all I can say is that I'm speaking from my personal experiance. I have used the Ruger Mark II varmint in 220 & 22-250 and crushed the competition. These were shoots where you get no sighters & shoot 5 shots at each target at 100, 200 & 300 yards prone with a bipod. In these shoots I have seen Remingtons, Brownings, Savages and many other types. The most overriding reason the competitive shooters choose Remington is that the actions are the best made. This means that bench rest guys with extreme limits on tolerance can build the perfect gun. That said, they "NEVER" build them on stock Remington actions. They are always special order actions & barrels. Remington does not have a significant advantage over Ruger or Savage on their standard out of the box guns. RG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will agree with RG to a point, I have a 77 in 6mm that shoots everybit as good as my Sendero, However It has been my experiance that the Remingtons out shoot the rugers time and time again. I have owned approx 8 of the mark II's. I will agree the ruger is a he** of a buy for the money.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The remington actions are not ordered!! they are trued by a gunsmith and the bolt is turned to be smoother. The lugs are often lapped and polished as well. This work being done, will provide an action that you may have $500 in, but it will shoot with the $1000-$1500 actions like Nesika Bay, Hall, Hart etc. If you take a close look at the majority of the custom stuff, you will see that it draws a lot of it's lines and desing from the 700. Trust me, I have put them beside the custom action and it will hang!!!
  • Options
    Richie RichRichie Rich Member Posts: 439 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the ruger m777 v/t in 25-06 and it is one fine out of the box shooter,also have a rem 700 in 300 weatherby mag also one fine shooter, my brother has a rem 700 in 7mm mag it is also a fine shooter. I don't believe the rem will out shoot the ruger as both have very tight groups personaly I like the ruger, 26" heavy barrel a full floating laminated stock with extra wide fore grip and a target trigger. granted as stated above the rem can probaly be hott-roded alot more but if you just want a out of box shooter I would go for the ruger.Rich