In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best wall safe: Electronic keypad type or mechanical Simplex lock type

Wild BillWild Bill Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm in the market to buy a wall safe for a handgun. I want something that provides quick and reliable access (i.e. no turn-dial combination locks or key locks). The two wall safes that I've found that seem like the best all-around fit for my needs, are:1. the "Gunlocker" (www.gunlocker.com), which has an electronic keypad; and 2. another wall safe (http://www.handgunsafe.com/wall_safe.htm), which has a Simplex push button mechanical lock.Does anyone have any personal experience with either of these wall safes, or recommendations for a different/better type?
"Gun control is not about guns; it's about control." "If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson."

Comments

• Options
    M.OpaliskiM.Opaliski Member Posts: 244 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a safe similar to the latter one that you mentioned, made by R&D Enterprises. It was not an in-the-wall safe like the one you posted the link to but the same design and quality I imagine. Well built in my opinion, and very heavy. Access without the combination would take some doing.What I use now is the Mossberg Instant Access safe. I like it better because it offers faster access and is more pleasing to the eye. It also has a lighted keypad when touched. No complaints at all.
    Support your RKBA ... MatthewNRA Life MemberTalk Radio Junkie opaliski@hotmail.com TheFirearmsEnthusiast
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    I like the idea of the safe that is also a clock. Access is through a hidden latch without keypads or combinations. The clock face hinges down with the gun behind it. If you didn't mention it no one would suspect it contains a gun.
  • Options
    4000fps4000fps Member Posts: 786 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These type safes are only good if you are concerned about children. If you think they will protect what ever you put in them from a robber, you are mistaken. A claw hammer or a crowbar and anyone could walk out with the safe and open it later.
  • Options
    Wild BillWild Bill Member Posts: 155 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is basically the only reason I am buying it, to prevent access by children.
    "Gun control is not about guns; it's about control." "If guns cause crime, then matches cause arson."