In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Building a Rifle

gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
It has always been a goal / dream of mine to build a custom rifle. (by build I mean buy the parts and have a good gunsmith put it together for me [:p] ) Who has done / does this? What were your experiences, did it turn out to be worth the money? I was thinking of putting a Hart barrel (caliber not decided) onto a McMillan stock with a Remington 700 action. If anyone has ever done anything similar would you care to share your thoughts on the process? Being the first time I will have done this, I'd like it to be a rewarding experience that ends up being worth the money I'm going to put down for it. Thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have given it some thought and decided that I would like one of my next rifles to be a custom built one. I am considering a .220 swift built off a Model 70 action. It's probably not going to happen in the near future, but I was wondering if anybody could guide me to some good gunsmith's or custom builders in the area. I live in Wisconsin so anybody who does good work in the Midwest area would be considered. Thanks in advance,

Jon
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok guys, Latley Ive been thinkin about having a gun built. I have a friend who teaches gunsmithing at a local community college and has offered the following. If I purchase the reciever,barrell,stock,etc, etc he will have his students "under his direction" build be a rifle. Question being what reciever ? barrell ? etc.I would like to have a heavy barrell in 300wsm. What Kind of cost am I looking at?Opinions ?
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your on a budget, probably go with a Mauser action, if not Dakota action would be even better.....Shilen air gauge barrel...don't go cheap on a stock blank, AAA Claro would look great...topped off with a Swarovski or Zeiss 30mm tubed scope....gee it's fun spending other peoples money.
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cannot argue the mauser action, it is a fine example, but what about in the interest of the students, why not buy a good used remington or winchester and let them pull the barrel and do the work, that is a trick in itself unbarreling some actions correctly. Them you can get your self a wildcatted production gun? maybe a 6mm-06 lightweight or a sporter barrel, or a 6.5-06 heavy varminter? Man will he do it for me too? I am jealous!
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    J.JohnJ.John Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have built several custom rifles over the years. I had about$400 in the last one, which was a .300 Win. Mag. You can go to $1000 very easily.All of mine used mauser actions, with the exception of a couple of Japs.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Orphanedcowboy, now thats a good idea! I shall proceed to look for a suitable canidate for such a splendid project..Many Thanx
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    winchester action, douglass air guage or shileen barrel mc millian or hs precision stock
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    DANG I want to take the class...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I want gunnut to inroduce me to his friend, I mean our friend, wink wink!
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try to come across a Rem 700 action. I use these exclusivly for mine, other than 1 weatherby mark V action. HS precision stock, Hart, Lilja, Pacnor, Shillen barrel, jewell trigger, and a nice scope. ( Leupold Mark 4, Schmidt and Bender, nightforce)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you gunnut69 on GB? Did you bid on the item in question for your project?
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com