In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rechambering question

He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
There is a rifle that was a 243 re-chambered to 260 rem and rebored. It is a Weatherby Vanguard, VGL with 20" barrel. Do you have to be concerned about the barrel being to thin.

I'm looking for a inexpensive rifle for my kids and can't find a 250 savage, 257 Roberts or 260 rem in a Savage Accustock or a Howa. Its for my 2 boys for a general purpose rifle.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looking for an opinion or two from gunsmiths on what would be involved in rechambering a .270 to .257 Roberts. Would anything be necessary beyond rechambering/rebarreling and maybe filling the magazine? In these days of political correctness is this called a caliber reassignment?
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This would require a new barrel chamered in 257.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HeDog,Cpermd is correct. Rechambering is not an option. No magazine mods will be needed, but a new barrel and proper headspacing will give you the drop in power from the .270 to the .257 Roberts.Just a suggestion - have you considered the .25-06? It's an excellent round, has a decent amount of power without alot of recoil, and you can form cases from .30-06 brass.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I understood rechambering without a new barrel was not an option, and thought nothing would have to be done to the bolt, just wondered if any other changes would have to be made. Did not consider .25-06 as I do not reload, and the last thing I need is another "hobby." I would probably leave it in .270 anyway as it is a superior cartridge for the hunting I do. I like .257 Roberts a lot, and want to pick up a particular rifle that I like a lot but which was never manufactured in .257 and rechamber to suit myself. Thanks for the input! [This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 11-15-2001).][This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 11-15-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know Saxon, I know, but you should see the problem we already have with insufficient storage space! Well maybe I will send some 1 x fired brass your way and make a little space. Since I hunt I only do enough bench shooting to stay a decent shot, but don't burn a lot of rounds at the bench otherwise.
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog I recently had a 22-250 that I wasn't using much and had a gunsmith put a 257 Roberts barrel on it. Talk about sweet. Very accurate (douglas barrel), Leupold M8 4x scope, 1" Pachmeyer decelerator, all on a rem 700 action, low recoil and my daughter (14) took her first buck with it this year. By the way, you don't have to be a reloader to shoot the 25-06. The factory loads available for it are plenty accurate and flat shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks GhotieThumper, I kind of remember knowing 25-06 was not a exclusively a wildcat anymore, but I am not a big fan of the 06 or any of the derivitives except the .270, which for my hunting purposes will far outperform the 25-06. I do love the .257 Roberts. Now if I can just locate the rifle I want I will have a new Shaw barrel put on. They won't have a chance! sounds like a nice rig you put together, did you get a deer too?
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    What is this fettish for the .257 Roberts??I know a guy who has several..and is always lookin for another.He Dog,what rifle are you looking to do this to ?.218[This message has been edited by 218Beekeep (edited 11-16-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The rifle is H & R 300 Ultra. Not really my idea of a beautiful rifle, the California roll over stock is a little over the top for me. BUT, They come to the shoulder for me like no other rifle. Just lift it up and it is in position and I am looking through the scope with no thought or adjustment. I can live with that.As to .257 Roberts, I can't really explain it, I just love shooting that caliber. And I only have one so far...
  • Options
    ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always wanted one since shooting one my brother in law owned. He told me it was about the best Blacktail cartridge he had used and he had taken many more deer than I. I did take one this year also. I used the 3006 though. I do like the way the 257 shoots though and would recommend it to anyone for a deer stopper. My daughter shot hers behind the shoulder. The bullet took out the back 1/3 of the lungs and it only managed to take one leap before dropping.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    New rifles in .257 are only built by Ruger (mod 77 MK II) and Winchester (Mod 70 Featherweight), so the choices are slim. Older rifles are the next choice and I will either rebarrel a 300 Ultra or find a pre-64 Mod 70. the rebarrel is cheaper! Get one GhotieThumper!