In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt D.A. 38 Help!!!!!!!

shovhogshovhog Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
This pistol has been passed down through the family. I am trying to get a history of it or more info. Description:Markings on Barrel:COLT'SPT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT USAPATENTED AUG 5 1884 NOV 6 88 MAR 5 95COLT DA 38Markings on Frame:Trident mark on left hand trigger guardRampant colt in a circle just above left handside just above stock.Number 8 stamped under stock next to where the spring fits in the frame.Number 38 stamped on frame where cylinder meets and also on the inside of the cylinder frame.On the butt is stamped the letter "N" (When looking at the butt long ways)Stocks:Hard knurled black rubber with "COLT" in aoval at the top of each stock.On the inside of the stock, etched in a none professional manner, with what looks like 4 different types of instruments and handwritting styles is the following:Right hand stock->965Left had stock->3468 (top side)46371 (bottom side)Comments:Blued frame barrel and trigger.Short FlutesCylinder rotates counter clockwise6 inch barrelI have researched in:Colt Firearms {from 1836}by James E. ServenandCOLT An American Legendby RL Wilson

Comments

• Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    It's just what it says it is.Colt DA Chambered for 38 Long and Short Colt.N Frame
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaSemper Adveho AbsconditusNever miss a good chance to shut up (Will Rogers)
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gun is one of the later New Army revolvers. Knowing the serial number would correctly date the piece and pin it down as to which of the three possible models it may be.I am not sure of the significance of the "N", but it does not signify "N-Frame." That frame size was known as the ".41 Frame" and later became the basis for the I-frame.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    shovhogshovhog Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The problem is where the serial number is supposed to be (according to the books) is just the letter N , I am sure it is a civilian model of the New DA Army And Navy Revolver, model 1895
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Did you check for the serial # inside the crane? Open the clyinder and look on the frame.
  • Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The numbers inside the crane are assembly numbers, not serial numbers. Those revolvers were serialized on the butt of the firearm. If it is not there, something is wrong.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com