In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin Naget question

prebanfanprebanfan Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have a question about a Mosin Naget. First off let me say that I know they are not the best guns in the world and that it's hard to get a quick follow up shot off with them because of the odd path of the bolt. But I like guns that have some history behind them. Anyway..... I was in the gun shop two days ago and ran across a Russian Mosin Naget carbine. They told me it was an un-issued piece. All the numbers matched and the gun was in super nice shape. Not mint condition but the best condition Mosin I have personally seen. Nice shiney wood,bayonet, 100% bluing etc...etc.. Which brings me to my question. They want $130.00 bucks plus tax, for it and a box of shells. They will not budge on the price. However all there other Mosin Naget's are only $79.00 each. All the $79.00 Naget's are in the average shape you find most Naget's in. I think the gun is on the money but I would not call it a "great deal". However I could be wrong because I have never shopped for a Naget before. So would this gun be worth an extra 50 dollars in the shape it's in? Better yet, without seeing the gun and just going by what I have stated, it is worth $130.00 plus tax? Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A thing is worth what somebody will pay for it.Go back to the shop in six months, if it's still there then, I'm sure you could walk out with it for $100.
  • Options
    swampmasterswampmaster Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hmmmmm its only worth what you are willing to pay for it and he is willing to sell it for i have seen new unisssued around here for 100.00 but i have also sold a used one for 150.00 if u like it buy it if it is to be used if it is to look at or for resale well i think i would pass but thats only my 2cents worth
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $130? Man all the Mosins I saw at the Gun Show last weekend were about $150 and looked like they's been run over by a truck.-Marcus
  • Options
    john carrjohn carr Member Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last show I attended, the Model 44's which you described were going for $90-$100 in beautiful (like mint) shape. I bought a Model 38 carbine, lots of blue, all matching numbers,and cleaning rod for $60.00. If there are any shows in your area you should look there first.
  • Options
    mhansonmhanson Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might want to try inter ordnance very nice guns 85.00 + shipping. I have sold and bought alot of these in the last 2 years and they are the best out there now
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herewith an interesting story. Just yesterday I received a phone call from a lady sales rep. of a large distributor who said that she was sending me a sales flyer outlining the following: After W.W.II the Russians (then Soviets) launched a massive weapons rehab program (just like we did) and completely reworked many Mosin Nagant rifles, mostly of the 91/30 and M-44 varieties. This included rebluing, new parts as needed, etc. to new condition. The weapons were then stored in salt mines where the humidity level is 0 percent. All numbers, including bayonets for the 91/30s, match; and these weapons are being imported exclusively by this distributor. Dealer price will be approx. $130. When I receive the flyer I'll post it's contents. Shouldn't be more than a couple of days.
  • Options
    prebanfanprebanfan Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get this fellas. I went back to the shop today to look at the gun again. They had sold 4 naggets in two days, including the one I wanted. There is a gun show coming up in the next couple weeks so maybe I will get lucky and find a better deal there. I doubt it, but it gives me a good excuse to go to a gun show so close to christmas LOL!
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    If it wasn't mint condition it wasn't unissued, and should be full of cosmoline unless it has been cleaned. Sounds like they are misrepresenting the condition. For a truly un-issued piece, $130 is a good deal. I think if you shopped around a little you might do better on a piece that is slightly used. As for a VG-EX piece $85-$100. They are common right now and it seems that every gun shop has some.