In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

// HK USP v. Glock ///

buyer7121buyer7121 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I have had glocks for many years now but feel that the quality is just not there for the long term. However, HK usps that I have fired are, in my opinion, constructed to a little higher quality of workmanship. What ever I choose for my next carry gun, it has to be light and compact and can not be single action only. What do you guys and gals think of HK USP's. I am looking for pros and cons from shooters who preferably carry and beat the hell out of their guns..in other words use them alot. I shoot about 1,000 round a month due the fact that I am a range master for our county police dept. and need somthing to last.thanks

Comments

• Options
    1blitzer1blitzer Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned or own one of each of the 40 S&W glocks models. The only one I am going to keep is the glock 27. I like that little gun for some reason. I bought a USP 40 after shooting a friends at the range. It shot great at 25 and 50 yards on the steel plates. After the shooting session we cleaned our guns and that is when I notice the difference in quality. The recoil rod in the USP is great engineering. It not only reduces felt recoil significantly more than the glock, but it increases service life by reducing the force on the entire gun. The trigger guard is also much larger to accomodate gloves better than the glock. The ambi magazine release is the best feature of the HK. Try holding it upside down and hit the release and watch how it works. I have about 2000 rounds through my HK with no problems. The HK can be in different variants to meet your style including double action only, double/single action, with a safety, and with a decocker. My next USP will be the USP 45 compact after I sell my Glock 22. Sure the glock is cheaper, but you get what you pay for in the end.
  • Options
    oneshyoneshy Member Posts: 417
    edited November -1
    The Glock is simple for a reason. Reliability. A gun mag. author [can't remember his name] has an ongoing test of a Glock 17 in which he has fired 175,000 rd. He has frozen it solid, then tapped off the ice and fired. Emmersed it in a bucket of mud then fired, driven his truck over it, then parked on top of it for 3hours, then fired it. It worked every time. Or how about the Cal. deadheads that shoot fish with their Glocks instead of spear guns. I read an article on this in which a diver found a Glock in some rocks off the Cal. coast. He took it home and it functioned perfectly. He began to feel guilty and tracked down the rightful owner through the serial #. Found out that the gun had been underwater for over a yr.. I too would like an HK with features and all the bells & whistles but through your own experience you say that you have already found the gun for the long haul.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here is a little expansion on the previous points, yes the glocks can do those things. The only reason we know is because Glock started those tests as a mrketing ploy. The HK guns will do the exact same things in mud/ice/etc. They are all coated with what is calles their "hostile environment" coating. This is an electrically applied coating which, from what the techs at HK told me, had to be done in Germany at the factory. It has been proven to be rust proof in the ocean for years also. The HK is truly better engineering. look at the grease guns, HK engineered those. I have never, never, had a malfunction with my USP. Not even with garbage ammo. They also have the cocked and locked capability, something to be considered for concealed carry!
  • Options
    chesuschesus Member Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just talking with an armorer for the US Customs. He said the H n' K has a tendency to wear through some parts (I can't remember which ones) faster than the Glock. These parts are almost impossible to find and cost you an arm and a leg if you can find them. He says the squeez gun and the machine guns are outstanding but stay away from the others. Also the mag release tends to snag on holsters or clothes and release the mag at inopportune times.
    Taste my Wind Fist!
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    chesus- can't agree with your statements regarding the H & K pistols. I have disassembled my USP after about 5K rounds, and see no wear on any components. I did change the recoil spring, but that was early in the relationship; the slide had a tendency to open as the pistol was being holstered, and was throwing the brass farther than I felt it should. I shoot 500+ rounds a month, and have had zero trouble. It's hard to see how the mag release could be activated in a holster that was actually designed for the pistol, not some generic "large auto" offering in the bargain bin. The fact that the Govt is issuing the system to their high speed teams should tell you that this is a non-issue. Last I heard, Customs was not using H & K pistols, so I might question the validity of your friend's claim. If you do get an answer as to what parts are supposedly wearing out, I would like to know.
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chesus, I have to dissagree with you too. I do not find the Mag release on the HK to be flawed.As a matter of fact the Glock's mag release unreliable.In a stand carry method(hip holster, shoulder/* rig, thigh tactical) a mag relase issue has not been a problem in either the HK or the Glock.The problem occurs when carrying inside the pants(in front and concealed). The Glock has a typical cross moving release, that is very sensitive. In this I mean it does not require much pressure to release the Glock mag, nor does it require much travel of the mag button. TTherefore, the problem I have encountered with the Glock is the unintentional release of the magazine. This unintentional mag release occurs quite often. I can no longer use my Glock as a CC inside the pants(front). It sure is a great loss, my Glock has the Lasermax internal laser and Trijicon nightsites.The HK USP has now replaced my Glock for CC. The HK mag relase is shielded by the trigger guard and moves down instead of sideways.Both are great guns. I love both.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hasn't this topic been discussed in this forum several times already? There are drawbacks to both firearms in whichever way anyone looks at it. Glocks may be more compact (lower barrel location) compared to HK but are HK shooters willing to trade for the sharper recoil in the Glocks? As far as which is well made, have both firearms in front of you and tell me what you see(just like comparing a Honda to a Jaguar). Personally, I'm not one for the floating firing pin design which glock uses. I would rather have the peace of mind that my sidearm is locked and loaded...guess its a habit I picked up from old timers/veteran shooters. I have a Glock 19 and an HK USP40cV1(among other things). Reliability wise, neither of these have failed me yet. Being of a small framed individual, the Glock is easier to carry concealed. Finish and Function, HK hands down and as far as accuracy...I still think SIG and Beretta shoots better than both.be safe,-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree with the sig, but the beretta? Mine doesn't shoot better than my HK. Give me an HK any day!!! Mine also does not hang up on the shoulder holster it resides in.
  • Options
    Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is making two holes touch each other at 25 yards good, or normal?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    under normal circumstances, that would be good. But under duress, these shots cannot be compared. There's a stress factor and a real time scenario added to the equation.-Smooth
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at the range today and I decided tho check out the HK they had there. I have kinda small hands and found the mag release was hard to push with my thumb. I still plan to rent one before I make a decision, but I'm leaning more toward another Sig, now.-Marcus
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don't get me wrong, I love the HK stuff. But, I will take the SIG. I shot better than I ever have, the first day I shot mine that's no BS. I will aquire everyone I come across, just for GP. If I can't have a SIG, then I want my HK. I don't think either is all that much better, but the SIG fits me better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC, I understand where youre coming from. I'm an HK fan all the way, but honestly... SIG's (except the PRO's) shoot better than the HK. One of the main things I checked up on before I decided which to buy was the fit of the firearm to my grip. Besides, the HK does tend to be different in appearance from others, and I liked that. Its like having a pitbull in a dogshow filled with poodles.-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.