In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

LEUPOLD OR WEAVER

young gunyoung gun Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Which scope is the best bet for shooting at extended ranges the luepold varix3 or the weaver grand slam i want a 50mm for the brightness .Also what would be the best magnification choices for the better.Extended ranges meaning well i guess far as i can shoot and hit .Ha you know shoot till you miss.

Comments

• Options
    gunnutgunnut Member Posts: 724 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You owe it to yourself to check out www.bearbasin.com, someone posted this site when I was looking for a scope. I have had only good exp. with these people and the prices, well just check them out!! Hope this helps, btw I like the weaver's
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy yourself a Leupold and be done with it, the Weavers are made who knows where, Leupolds are made here.
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Leupold hands down.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will agree that the Leupolds are great optics, then again so is Swaroski,Zeiss,Smidt etc,etc,etc, My grandslam is everbit as clear and sharp as my vari x III at about $200 cheaper.Durability is yet to be seen however I have no complaints at this point. I was wondering how does the $1500 Shmidt & Bender compare to the vari x III? Its all a matter of money,marketing,opinions I know my spelling stinks, just stiring the pot alittle....
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems I heard the new Leupold's are no longer US made and the quality of their new scopes remain to be seen, however the prices are about the same ... are they going the way of several old name US companys and riding on their name?
    GUN CONTROL: If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!kimberkid@gunbroker.zzn.com
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    OrphanedcowboyOrphanedcowboy Member Posts: 351 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only ones I have heard that would be made out of the US will be the Vari xII's, but I have not seen any concrete evidence
    Orphanedcowboy@msn.com
  • Options
    young gunyoung gun Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dano i guess your right i might as well shell out the few extras for the leupold and not worry about notliking what im looking through.It a sure thing .thanx
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I like Leupolds...I just get sick of hearing people worship their holy name!!It`s like they`re in a cult,or somethin!!.218
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dano, I to have found that Leupold has a great service department just like Dillion Precision!!, What did you have to send back?
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,963 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We all like Leupold because they fix their mistakes? Yeah I like Leupold too, but do not worship them. I will put my Nikon Monarch against my Vari-X III's any day. Price about the same. In optics you get what you pay for, period. There are so some scopes that are better than others in their price range, like the Weaver Grand Slam. No $49 or $100 or $150 scope can compare with a $400 scope and no $400 scope compares with $900 scope. You just have to figure out how much scope you need. You do pay something for the "name" on a scope like Leupold, but then again there is a reason they have a name. In the long run, a mid-range scope will probably last a lifetime and you probably do not need a lot of bells and whistles. $400-$500 ought to do it, and do indeed check Bear Basin, I have been posting them for a while and it will be hard for you to find a better price or service on a quality scope. [This message has been edited by He Dog (edited 11-18-2001).]
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Dillon...that`s that other cult..218