In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black Bear hunting in PA

zizimikezizimike Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Hey, anybody know anything about PA's Bear season this year? I'm out of state (NJ)and would like to go up and hunt. Thanks for your help.Mike.

Comments

• Options
    RobohunterRobohunter Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bear season in PA starts tomorrow and runs for a total of 3 days. Since you live in Jersey, the Pocono's would be a good bet for you to hunt in. Lots of state land available to hunt on, state forest and state game lands. They can get awfully big so take a potent enough caliber for a 600 pounder but be happy with any bear you might get!
  • Options
    ToyboyToyboy Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Black bear season this year is like the past, Monday through Wednesday Thanksgiving week. That is Nov 19-21 this year. Remember you must buy a seperate bear permit. As I won't be able to hunt this year, you may try for the one I hoped for. I hope your hunt is sucessful. There's a lot of bear this year.
  • Options
    ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a former Pennsylvnian and have hunted bears there a few times. Best bet is to hook up with a group of people and post and drive. You're chances of just happening upon one are pretty slim. PA has done a nice job in managing the bear population over the last twenty years and I understand that there are more of them now than in recent memory. However, no hunting over bait and no dogs means that luck plays a greater part in success here than in other states or Canada where baits and/or dogs are allowed. Still, it's a great time in the woods and beats the hell out of going to work. Good luck!