In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 rd mag for .40 p-94

jrugjrug Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
can I get a 30 rd mag for a ruger p-94 pistol chambered in .40 caliber?If so does anyone know where I could get one?

Comments

• Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll find although advertised, there were few and more likely none of the extended .40 cal mags made for the Ruger. Several reasons why. The Ruger is fairly inexpensive. If you buy a Ruger, you're concerned about price. If you are concerned about not spending very much, you won't spend big money on extras either. If you won't spend big money on extras, you won't buy extended mags. .40 cal ammo is expensive, so you won't just go blazing, hence you don't need or want extended magazines. .40 cals in general are primarily being used by Law Enforcement, they won't want or have a need for extended length mags. These were the thoughts of the magazine companies in the early 1990's, before the passing of the crime bill in 1994. In that time period, the .40 was a young cartridge, only starting to gain popularity at the time. Ammo was not as easy to find and noteably more expensive than it is today. Full metal jacket used to be in the upper teens. Not too many people were just out blazing with the .40 like they are today. It was a different time, with different perspectives. The Sherer Glock 29rd .40 mags are one of the few exceptions. Some companies marketed extended .40 mags that were nothing more than 9mm mags that just so happens would also work in the .40. Just trying to give a reality check from a historical perspective. The above statements are not my opinion, but rather the facts that the magazine companies were using in deciding what to make and what not to make. If the crime bill had not taken place until the late 1990's there would have been lots of 20, 25, and other larger capacity mags for almost all the .40 cals, including the Ruger. It is just like speed loaders, grips or fitted holsters, if the manufacturers don't see enough continued demand and future sales to justify developing and making the molds and then finally making the product, they flatly never even start. It is all about sales and profit. I don't think you'll see an internal laser system for a Jennings or Raven. No one will spend 7 times more for a gadget than they did for the gun. Although I have seen guys spend 4 times more on SKS accessories than they did on the gun. to each his own.