In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 300 WinMag

spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
I'm new to reloading bottleneck cartridges; can someone reassure me that it's o.k. to use a regular full resize + decap die on once-fired brass for decapping only, as long as I back it off from the typical depth for regular resizing operations? I only have one bolt-action in 300 WinMag & want to neck size only the once-fired brass I have now, in a separate neck-size-only operation before reloading.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would check with someone more learned than I. I beleive that this can be done for a number of times but the full length must be done every so many times. Also you will need to keep a very close eye on case length this way.
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its ok to do this "only" if you are using the reloads in the same gun as you state you will be doing. As a matter of fact it should prolong the life of the brass to only neck size. I have done it that way for many years. Do a full resize after 2 neck only reloads to keep the case size consistent. Be sure to check the overall case length with a caliper & keep it under 2.620 and you should be fine. Good luck & be safe. RG[This message has been edited by rg666 (edited 11-16-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks rg666, that's what I'd hoped! Thanks for the "every third resize" tip as well; that's what makes this list really worthwhile! New Federal cases measured 2.610" + out of the box; I'll keep tabs on case length as I run these first 100 thru their next reload cycles.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    QUESTION?????..Once a cartridge is fired in a chamber,Why would it be necessary to full length size the case ever again????? It was my understanding that the reason for full length sizing was to return the case to SAMMI spec so that it could be chambered in any other SAMMI spec. chamber. I reload and shoot some 8- 10 bottleneck calibers( only one gun for each caliber..or the brass is marked for a specific gun). I never full length resize. I fire form and neck size only....Never noticed any problems, however; after 8-10 firings, the cases require trimming to keep them within case length tolerances.... Again... Why must /should I full length resize every 3 or 4 firings... Seems to me that would work harden the cases and cause earlier failure??[This message has been edited by JIM STARK (edited 11-16-2001).]
  • Options
    rg666rg666 Member Posts: 395 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good question Mr. stark. I was told, and believe that when the case lengthens from firing it stretches not only from the neck but from below the neck as well. The full length resizing will display any faults in the case wall. I would rather full length resize occasionally & shorten the life by a couple of reloads than have a bad case damage the gun or hurt me. Remember it only takes one time to kill you. I would welcome anyone else's comments on this as well. RG
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rg666... Perhaps you are correct, but if I don't see any increase in overall case length ,there shouldn't be any thinning of the case.... If the non-neck portion of the case gets thinner ,the brass has to go somewhere.. If I don't have to trim... I don't have to full length size..huh??? I don't understand how full length sizing shows up case defects any faster than just using a dental pick and a light to do an internal inspection of the cases looking for "incipent case separation".. Anybody else have any ideas ..This is just how I was taught, and it all makes sense to me.
  • Options
    YankeeClipperYankeeClipper Member Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know this isn't anything you asked for. But here's my favorite load. .165 gr Boat tail and 76gr of 4831 Its fast but not too fast flat and accurate
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sometimes you get more than you ask for; I don't have a problem with that.I have a supply of both components you mention YC, I'll try a few in my Model 70. Not much load data published for 168gr & under in 300WM - atleast that I've found yet.