In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Colt AR vs new Colt or Colt Copy AR

rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
Other than preban configuration legality, how does an older Colt AR-15 (1970's) compare with a new Colt AR or Bushmaster, etc?I had a used Olympic arms and was not pleased with it, it was very 'loose'. I've seen the new Bushmasters go for about $900 and the New Colts for around $1100. A friend of mine also has a 1970's era Colt HB2 with a Colt scope that he might want to sell. He wants $1350.Any advice would be appreciated.Roy

Comments

• Options
    jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Roy, I have a post ar15 223 match target and love it.The only thing you get, as for as I see in a preban gun is a bayonet lug and a flash supresor.The extra money you spend for a pre ban can be spent on other things like a better trigger or a scope.Any way everyone has there thing some people wants the preban an some don't care ,as for as the gun the Colt ar15 to me is a great gun for the price .By the way I paid 845.00 for mine new in box,and have not had any trouble with it at all. Hopes this helps but you will have to make your mind for yourself to the gun that fits your hand and budget.As for as shooting a preban and a postban no difference. Gerald
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Colts of all vintages are excellent quality. They have the most collector value in pre-ban configuration. Depending on the age of the pre-ban, you not only get flash hider and bayonet lug, but you also get the small pins and no receiver block. Those features are worth a lot to many people. As far as pure shooting, the pre- and post-ban are probably about equal model for model. I think there are some post-ban models that are intended to be premium target models, which, if accuracy is your goal, might serve you better than pre-ban. Depending on condition, the $1350 AR sounds pretty good. Figure most pre-ban Colt rifles alone are worth that much or more, and you are getting a Colt scope besides. I doubt that it is from the 1970s however, as I do not believe the Heavy Barrel was intoduced until into the 1980s. Is the scope 3X or 4X? How many magazines come with it?
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have put together many and can say there is essentilly no difference in most receivers.As long as the parts are milspec there is no practical difference in the guns.I definitely like Colt or Bushy chrome lined barrels.Just 30 minutes ago I got an email from Buddie at Tapco saying I get the last nine of the M16 kits he has.They have a couple of small parts missing,two have dented dust covers and two have busted handguards.I will convert the FA parts to SA,cut off one ledge on the bayonet lug,Wilson A2 style muzzlebreak and new forged postban lowers.All GI Colt parts x the lower .Too cool.I love this country and capitalism.cpermd
  • Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll get to see it after work today. He also has a Bushy lower with a Colt upper. I think he got confused describing them to me. He also mentioned he had one in 7BR.
  • Options
    nmyers@home.comnmyers@home.com Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd avoid the mixed manufacturer gun, unless it is cheap enough to compensate for: 1) the fact that there is no warranty, 2) the possibility that it may not function reliably, and 3) the certainty that you will get little for it when you sell.Neal