In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 mag.

hushpitihushpiti Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
looking to get my boy a starter rifle. Do you think the marlin model 883ss micro-groove barrel would be a gun that'll last? How's the quality?

Comments

• Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    hush, do him and yourself a favor......Ruger 10/22Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelMember: NRA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2AMPD and the AARP. njretcop@copmail.com [This message has been edited by njretcop (edited 11-19-2001).]
  • Options
    218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Get him a Marlin boltgun!!10/22 are accurate ..but man are they ugly!!..and they don`t even resemble a hunting rifle!!.218
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How much are you willing to spend? If the budget allows, think about something a bit further up the food chain. After all, your boy will have the rifle the rest of his life, and he will pass it on to your grandchildren, etc.. Somehow, a birch-stocked, mass-produced rifle that you can buy at Wal-Mart does not fill that roll. In new guns, look at a Kimber .22, or at least a Ruger 77/22. Give a good look at the Winchester 9422 as a traditional choice. (Every kid fancies himself "The Rifleman" with a lever action.) Although it is now Japanese, consider the Winchester M52. My first new rifle was a Marlin M39A Mountie. I got it in the early 1950s, before the "Golden" name was added. I still have it. Unfortunately, the safety on the new Marlin levers ruins them for me, but who can be against safety? If you want to start with used guns, the whole world of rimfires is at your disposal, budget allowing. What a great thing to start down this road with your son. God bless.
  • Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the quality first people a couple suggestionsI'll agree with the Winchester 9422, you'll never get me to part with mine ever.A couple months ago I picked up a CZ 452, Nice little gun, Accurate last time I shot it, I managed a 1" 50yd group with iron sights half an hour before sunset. Give me good light I'd bet it would do 1/2". It also comes with a single shot adapter, nice for training a newbie.Start him with the gun he'll shoot the rest of his life.WOODS
  • Options
    RobinRobin Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear hushp,Your post states "22mag" but for a first gun maybe consider a .22 lr. Your child will be anxious to shoot it I'm sure and the lr is much more economical to use.The previous advice offered in this post is good. If I could only get one .22, I would lean toward the 10/22 lr(also chambered in .22 mag if you must have it)because it is relatively inexpensive to buy, reliable and so many options are available as upgrades. If you want to shoot shorts or longs maybe a bolt or lever action would be better. You may find the absolute best option is to get several .22's!! Hope you both have fun with whatever you decide.
    Worry is the interest humans pay on the debt of miscalculation.
  • Options
    22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Alwys start them with a bolt action of some kind. Preferably a single shot.Just my opinion/
    Home of the Blue Angels, P'colaSemper Adveho AbsconditusFree Advise: "Never hold a dustbuster and a cat at the same time."Never miss a good chance to shut up (Will Rogers)
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get the marlin. great gun that will last forever. very accurate also. i have a 22mag that consistently shoots 1 ragged hole groups at 50 yards with the cci maximag hollowpoints. and this gun was purchased at a pawn shop for 100 bucks. why spend the extra money for a name like ruger or kimber when a marlin will shoot as good or better.
  • Options
    gravediggergravedigger Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Marlin 795 .22LR semi-auto. I love it and no problems so far. Gave $100 for it.-Marcus
  • Options
    roundballroundball Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Savage or Stevens .22/.410 break action combination over & under is also a nice alternative, very safe, has the extra appeal of the .410 shotgun...enjoy