In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 S&W vs .357 Sig

gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
edited November 2001 in Ask the Experts
No mater what the gun is what do you believe is the better round? Pros and cons if you only had one which one would it be?

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Why neck down a cartridge to a smaller bullet for less energy? Go with the .40
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I must disagree with the above post. I converted my Glock 27 from 40 to 357Sig. The recoil is reduced and the FPS is faster by 400 and hits harder than the 40. I will not go back to the 40 barrel.
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelMember: NRA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2AMPD and the AARP. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    The .357 Sig is the better round in every respect over the 40 S&W. dheffley, you really need to fire this round before passing judgement on it.Boomer
    Protect our Constitutional Rights.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistically, the SIG357 is better than the 40SW. Tests prove that it performs better too. Generally, it comes down to personal preference, also with the cost of ammunition added to the equation, we have another problem dont we? Does the performance of the sig357 justify it having a much higher expense cost than a 40SW? We all know that you cannot become an expert with a firearm in just 1000 rounds.-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    smooth_operatorsmooth_operator Member Posts: 227 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistically, the SIG357 is better than the 40SW. Tests prove that it performs better too. Generally, it comes down to personal preference, also with the cost of ammunition added to the equation, we have another problem dont we? Does the performance of the sig357 justify it having a much higher expense cost than a 40SW? We all know that you cannot become an expert with a firearm in just 1000 rounds.-Smooth
    Life is the leading cause of death.Everything else is just a contributing factor.
  • Options
    Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock 22, is there a conversion kit to change it to a .357 Sig.? And if there is about how much does one cost?
  • Options
    Gene B.Gene B. Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Glock 22, is there a conversion kit to change it to a .357 Sig.? And if there is about how much does one cost?
  • Options
    spclarkspclark Member Posts: 408
    edited November -1
    Awhile back I bought an American Arms (I think it was) made-in-Korea .357 SIG stainless compensated barrel for my 22C for about a C-note thru Gunbroker.Bar Sto makes 'em too, but they cost more. Other brands might also be available.It cost me another $60 for the Millett target sights for the Glock to make the .357 SIG barrel point where I was aiming (at 25 feet!), which wasn't exactly the case with the Bar Sto .357 SIG barrel I bought for my HK USP .40 S&W - perfect fit, virtually perfect aim point compared to the stock .40 barrel.You usually get what you pay for.... if you buy smart.
  • Options
    Guns & GlassGuns & Glass Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .357 mag is the best terminal stopping round.357 Sig basically duplicates it.Major advantage of 357 Sig...it is a bottleneck cartridge. Superior feeding, and less chance of a jamb as compared to a straightwall cartridge like the 40 S&W.
    Happy Bullet Holes!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I think you guys are confusing velocity with energy.
    Save, research, then buy the best.Join the NRA, NOW!Teach them young, teach them safe, teach them forever, but most of all, teach them to VOTE!