In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger M77 .243 ?

mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I went shooting today and had a problem. I would load my magazine with 5 bullets fire three rounds and then when I tried to chamber the fourth and fifth(Bolt Action) the bolt would either not catch the round and go right over it or it would catch the round and hit under the feed ramp and not feed. The bolt has a little play in it. It looks like the rounds aren't seating properly. Anybody had experience with this? What do I do? Thanks-mark

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In trying to solve this problem I believe I would first disassemble and clean the magazine components. It may be that a small piece of debris or a burr is preventing the magazine follower from rising completely to the bottom of the receiver. This would be an especially good lead if you have fired the rifle in the past and not experienced this problem. It's quite normal for the bolt in bolt actions to have some side to side and up and down play.
  • Options
    Tazman37Tazman37 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you had the gun apart lately? Sometimes the Ruger magazine follower will get put back in "cock-eyed" and you will have this problem. I know it sounds simple but all the other functions of grabbing the buller and chambering are mechanical which are machined into the rifle at the factory. Also clean the Magazine area. Use very little oil on re-assembly and try again.

Another thing you might do is get some "dummy rounds", either load them with shot to the same wieght as your live rounds and try chambering them if you are unsure.

Try the Barnes 95 grain X-bullet at about 2800fps for whitetail. Will look like a mortar went through the deer. Wife and I have two of these and they have never failed me.

Tazman37
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With a loose bolt that very well is possibly your problem.I dont recomend it but I took one of my model 77s and dropped the clip and stretched the spring a litle,to make it stronger.But if your bolt is loose there is more than likely your problem.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret