In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shot gun and Rifle Powder Swap

reddawnreddawn Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I have some smokeless powders I purchased in 1996 intended
for shotgun shell reloading. I bought these when I was working
and still shooting my Shotgun.

I have now used up all of my BL-C2 and other Rifle powders. It seems that a pound of powder today is worth $88.00. It occurred to me that I might swap what I have with someone who is in the reverse sitation. My question is: how long will powder remain stable in an unopened container.

Comments

• Options
    woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several containers of powder that are over 10 years old. All are still in fine condition. Temperature and humidity are the big enemies. Kept in thier origional containers in a favorable environment gunpowder has an indefinate lifespan. Several years ago I was given a pound of GOEX black powder that had a $1.95 price tag on it. It shot as good or better than the Elephant brand I bought last spring. Proper storage is everything.

Woods
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Where in the world are you? I cringe when I pay $20... 88? Maybe for an 8 pounder arround here. BLC2 isn't exactly an expensive powder. Last pound I bought was 14.50.
    Exactly what powders do you have and what quanities?
    rich

A man with a gun is a CITIZEN, a man without a gun is a subject.