In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

C&R License Question

pjpjrpjpjr Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
If I apply and am granted this license, do I have to have a bound book? Can I buy and sell freely with this license? I am not buying and selling as a dealer, but as a gun trader. Do the rules of FFL apply? Wher can I get all info before applying? Thanks to all replies.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can you verify a C&R license using the FFL EZCHECK on the BATF website ?
    Thanks
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    pjpjr, Wow- this question just won't go away! Most of the information you seek can be found on the ATF website at www.atf.treas.gov/firearms
    or something like that. There is an excellent question and answer section as well as a total run down of all the laws and regulations.

In a nut shell, your license allows you to do quite a few very useful things, depending on the state in which you live. You will need a bound book, but you can simply make your own if you wish. You can buy and sell freely among other FFL holders- both other collectors and dealers. I am a FFL dealer and we could buy, sell, or trade fireams with each other face to face or using common carrier shipments across state lines. You can also aquire C&R handguns in any state, something un licensed persons cannot do- they must use a FFL dealer.

Depending on where you live your C&R license might also allow you to have certain types of National Firearms Weapons- like machineguns, shipped directly to you once the transfer has been approved by the BATF. All and all a handy little piece of paper, I have a regular dealers FFL, but I also have a C&R FFL because it adds a few extras that regular dealer FFL's don't offer. Remember there is not such classification as a "gun trader"- I had a guy on another post try that on me. A "gun trader" is looking to make money, you want to be a collector and enhance your personal firearms collection. You will have to follow the rules- like keeping records and having those records available for inspection.

The one item that gets most collectors into trouble is using their license to become C&R "dealers". When or if you begin to make sales to un licensed people- people without FFL's, the BATF begins to wonder if you are collecting guns are trying to make a profit from selling them. Folks without FFL' begin to look like retail customers if there are too many of them; especially if the same few names keep popping up. Of course these same folks could be excellent sources for your purchase of C&R guns, just watch those non FFL sales.

Now every time I answer one of these questions it seems that a couple of cranks put up posts about how they'd rather die than get one of these C&R licenses and have to keep a record of the guns they've bought with their FFL. I happen to feel it is a bargan at $30 when you consider what you get to do. So at this point I'd suggest you visit the ATF site or you can e-mail me directly and perhaps I can provide you with some specifics. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark, let me say I agree with you 100 percent!! I have only bought a few MN's &Turk 8MM but it really is a thrill to have the big brown truck (BBT) pull up and you get your package of grease drippng rifles at your door.

My finger is twiching over a CZ52 from SOG for $119 right now. I don't need one but they are so cheap and right my door!! Tom

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who dont.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Mark. Great advise and very usefull information. I beleive I will go ahead and apply. I will also visit the ATF websight. Thanks again!!!! Pjpjr
  • Options
    TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Another good web site is cruffler.com. It is dedicated to collecting and has a compleat section on how to get a C&R and use it leagaly.
    Also I have aC&R ledger computer program. If you would like a copy just E-Mail me threw the link on the post and I will E-Mail you a copy.
    TOOLS

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am growen, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.