In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.264 Winchester Magnum Information

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a new Ruger 77 in .264WM which I haven't shot as yet.I've done a lot of reading up on this cartridge but to be quite honest I really don't believe what most of "Gun Experts" in the monthly magazines write about anything.So I'd like to ask any forum members who own a .264 the following questions based on the negative editorials I've read: 1. The barrels burn out fast! If this is true, I'll reload lighter loads - that should solve the problem - right? 2. After each shot you need to let the barrel cool down for a few minutes- if true -how long? 3..264WM rifles need to be cleaned immediately after shooting - since I do this with all my rifles- that's no probem. 4. Special cleaning techniques need to be used to clean the bore - if so - what techniques?
If you have any suggestions concerning the .264WM - please let me know. Although I've always wanted one, I never owned one before so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

John in PA
jmknaut@juno.com

Comments

• Options
    capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a new Ruger 77 in .264WM which I haven't shot as yet.I've done a lot of reading up on this cartridge but to be quite honest I really don't believe what most of "Gun Experts" in the monthly magazines write about anything.So I'd like to ask any forum members who own a .264 the following questions based on the negative editorials I've read: 1. The barrels burn out fast! If this is true, I'll reload lighter loads - that should solve the problem - right? 2. After each shot you need to let the barrel cool down for a few minutes- if true -how long? 3..264WM rifles need to be cleaned immediately after shooting - since I do this with all my rifles- that's no probem. 4. Special cleaning techniques need to be used to clean the bore - if so - what techniques?
    If you have any suggestions concerning the .264WM - please let me know. Although I've always wanted one, I never owned one before so any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

John in PA
    jmknaut@juno.com