In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1909 mauser question

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Newbie to the vintage gun world asks:
I have a 1909 Mauser I would like to sell. Not sure if it has been sporterized or not, but here's some info on the gun...
1. "K2273" is stamped into the barrel, bolt housing, bolt handle and bottom of magazine in front of trigger guard.
2. "B3394" is stamped into the stock.
3. "Cal 30.06" is stamped into barrel.
4. Hand shake symbol stamped into metal by front of adjustable rear sight.
5. "Mauser Modelo Argentino 1909" stamped into bolt housing.
6. Front of stock ends about 12-14 inches from end of barrel.
7. Gun is equipped with swivel mounted leather strap.

Any ideas on the originality of this gun? Any ideas on the value? I can e-mail a picture if it will help.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I picked up a 1909 Mauser today. I know the front barrel band and spring are missing. What I want to know is, has the barrel been shortened? It looks like it, but it still has what appears to be the original sight and base, is in original caliber, stock hasn't been altered, etc. I don't know why someone would cut off a few inches of barrel and do no more sporterizing. Was this some sort of short rifle? Barrel length is about 24 1/2". All matching, VG condition, unground crest so I couldn't pass it up at $100. Sorry for the ratty scan but it is hard to hold a gun steady long enough for a scan. You get the idea though. If you don't see the scan (I do but it is in my computer) let me know.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf

Edited by - jonk on 10/27/2002 17:19:23
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am starting to think it must, unfortunately, be chopped as I can't see how a barrel band could slip over the sight so close to the bayonet lug, AND over the stock at the same time, unless of course it was a hinged type which I don't think is likely.

I would welcome a contradiction.

If this is the case, what to do...? I will shoot the gun of course, to see how it does. Something irks me about the missing front band; either the gun should be in a real sporter stock or have that band. If the gun shoots well I may pick up a Turk Mauser stock (also a 98 action so it should just drop in, no?) or Czech stock, remodel, put away both barrel bands, and drop the action in. I'll have a nice sporter with no alteration to the original stock or action. I could also probably get a full length barrel original (gunparts has them) but then I would not longer have matching serials, and restore the gun. Having never installed or removed a barrel I would probably have to have a smith do it. The chamber wouldn't likely need reaming as it would be a straight switch but headspace might need taking care of in such a situation. Even if I could put the barrel on myself without an action vice or wrench I would likely scratch things up pretty good in tightening it. Oh well, live and learn.

"...hit your enemy in the belly, and kick him when he is down, and boil his prisoners in oil- if you take any- and torture his women and children. Then people will keep clear of you..." -Admiral of the Fleet Lord Fisher, speaking at the Hague Peace Conf
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like you have a put-together from different models. I can't identify the bayonet mount from the picture but I've not seen a hook up like that before. You shouldn't be hurt too bad as I think the 1909 action is worth quite a bit.

Mobuck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No, that is the bayonet lug from a 1909 alright... they inserted an interesting extension over the preexisting lug which is fairly common. The stock is definately matching as it is numbered. A thought- speaking of hinged barrel bands, I wonder if one from another gun (K98a, Swiss K-31, etc) would fit? I'll have to pull them off of some of my other guns and see.