In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

problems with reloading 454

bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I loaded some 454 shells today in new cases with new h110 powder and I am using CCI small pistol magnum primers. When I tried to fire them they just made a small pop and lodged the 230 gr fmj in my barrel repeatedly. I thought my primers might be bad so I loaded some more with benchrest small rifle magnums with exactly the same result. The only thing I can think it may be is bad powder, but I just bought it yesterday and the seal was intact. Any ideas ?

Comments

• Options
    rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    230 grain is fairly light for the 454. I never tried them in mine.
    Freedom arms recomends small rifle primers. Try 260-300 grain bullets with a heavy crimp. You need a tight fit with the bullet
    to build pressure to get the slower powder to burn properly.
    I downloaded load info from Freedom Arms website, used it and had no trouble. The gun is a real blast.

You can't miss fast enough.
  • Options
    rpo242rpo242 Member Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    230 grain is fairly light for the 454. I never tried them in mine.
    Freedom arms recomends small rifle primers. Try 260-300 grain bullets with a heavy crimp. You need a tight fit with the bullet
    to build pressure to get the slower powder to burn properly.
    I downloaded load info from Freedom Arms website, used it and had no trouble. The gun is a real blast.

You can't miss fast enough.
  • Options
    loader44loader44 Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my reloaing information, you should be using:
    36grs of H110 ( this is a max load start with 10% less ).
    Small Rifle Primers. ( Winchester ).
    C.O.L. 1.765
    260gr JFP or JHP
    1954FPS

From your discription, you used to little powder.
    How much powder did you put in?
    I know the bullett weight is different from the one you are using, But like I said, use 10% less powder to start.

Hope this helps.

loader44.
  • Options
    bandcollectorbandcollector Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am using 34 gr of H110
  • Options
    rick_renorick_reno Member Posts: 186
    edited November -1
    That load should have produced more than a "pop". Is it possible you're putting a .451 bullet into the case and not crimping it? If the bullet is really loose I suppose it could burn the powder and have the gas escape around the bullet rather than pushing it out the barrel. I've never seen this happen but I can't imagine what else could be causing this. I shoot .454's a lot and they need a good crimp that is done seperate from the seating operation.
    When you get the bullet out of the barrel, has the powder in the case
    burned? Are you getting a lot of flash from the cylinder when these things go pop?