In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.264 Winchester Magnum Information

capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I just purchased a new Ruger 77 in .264WM which I haven't shot as yet.I've done a lot of reading up on this cartridge but to be quite honest I really don't believe what most of "Gun Experts" in the monthly magazines write about anything.So I'd like to ask any forum members who own a .264 the following questions based on the negative editorials I've read: 1. The barrels burn out fast! If this is true, I'll reload lighter loads - that should solve the problem - right? 2. After each shot you need to let the barrel cool down for a few minutes- if true -how long? 3..264WM rifles need to be cleaned immediately after shooting - since I do this with all my rifles- that's no probem. 4. Special cleaning techniques need to be used to clean the bore - if so - what techniques?
If you have any suggestions concerning the .264WM - please let me know. Although I've always wanted one, I never owned one before so any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

John in PA
jmknaut@juno.com

Comments

• Options
    capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just purchased a new Ruger 77 in .264WM which I haven't shot as yet.I've done a lot of reading up on this cartridge but to be quite honest I really don't believe what most of "Gun Experts" in the monthly magazines write about anything.So I'd like to ask any forum members who own a .264 the following questions based on the negative editorials I've read: 1. The barrels burn out fast! If this is true, I'll reload lighter loads - that should solve the problem - right? 2. After each shot you need to let the barrel cool down for a few minutes- if true -how long? 3..264WM rifles need to be cleaned immediately after shooting - since I do this with all my rifles- that's no probem. 4. Special cleaning techniques need to be used to clean the bore - if so - what techniques?
    If you have any suggestions concerning the .264WM - please let me know. Although I've always wanted one, I never owned one before so any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

John in PA
    jmknaut@juno.com
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    I beleive some of the barrel burn out was possibly due to quality of barrels when the cartridge was developed and some of it is due to the fact that the cartridge is one that could be considered "overbore". There is going to be a significant difference in throat erosion if you consider, just for example the difference in loads for this caliber compared to other 6.5mm's. A 260 Remington maximum load of H1000 with a 120grain Speer is 51 grains @ 2810fps. A 264 Mag maximum load with the same bullet is 72 grains @ 3185fps. You burned 29.2% more powder to get 11.8% more velocity!! That has got to be harder on the throat!! I would not think that you would necesarrily have to wait longer between shots than with some of the other big dogs out there to test loads. It might take awhile longer between groups though. As far as the cleaning goes do it after shooting as you do all your guns now. I would caution you to break the barrel in using the shoot and clean method of your choice or as a bunch of people have posted on here. I would prefer 1 shot, JB, 1 shot, JB for 5 shots. Then 1 shot, Sweets. 1 shot Sweet's for five shots then for the next 6 to 8 three shot groups, Sweet's and then clean like you normally would. The 264 is a hard hitting cartridge. Have fun and report back to us. GHD
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD,

I would be very appreciative if you would let me know where you found this load data for both the 260 Rem. and the 264 Win. Mag. Have you loaded with this data and how did they shoot? Is your 260 Rem. throated long? How long are your barrels?

Curious minds need to know.

Regards.
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    The data that I used for that reply is found in the Hodgdon Basic Reloader's Manual 2002. It's just a little paperback reloading manual that Hodgdon uses for promotion and is available at a lot of gunshops for free. NO I have not used that data personally. My 260 is a standard chamber. It is factory Remington but if I was building one I would lengthen the the throat a few 1000's to allow seating them long slender bullets out there!! Good question!!!!! The only 264's I've messed with were 2 model 70's, 1 700 BDL(absolutely one of the prettiest rifles to not come out of the custom shop I've ever seen) and a custom job on a 98 action with a Douglas barrel. They all were decent shooting guns. As a rule I'll not push any caliber to the limit (270Winchester is the exception, the faster it is the better it shoots) My 260 likes 100grain Balistic Tips ahead of 40 grains of Varget. Not the hottest thing out there but if it shoots 3/10-6/10 out of a factory barrel I'm tickled!! GHD
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD,

Thanks, I'm glad you were close by with the answer.

I found the same information on the Hodgdon website. It amazes me that they would even suggest that powder or load for the 260 Rem. They show that load with a cap "C" for compressed. It is 4% compressed and in their 24" barrel wastes 9% of the powder unburned at the bullet's exit from the barrel. That's 670 grains of powder wasted per one (1) pound of powder or the equivalent of 13 cartridges with the same load and powder. I guess that I shouldn't be surprised as they do sell powder and really stand to benefit from wasted powder. It just didn't seem right to me when I read your post.

It is a good idea to throat a tad longer for any of the .264 cartridges as the bullets tend to be longer in relationship to the bore diameter. I leave the 264WM chambers as they are but I do throat the others (260 Rem., 6.5/284, 6.5BR, etc.)longer as it improves the powder capacity and I like the bullet base to be equal to length of the neck when seated.

capecod,

I wasn't ignoring your questions, I just needed to clear up that one thing first.

The more that you read about reloading, cartridges, bullets and rifles the more you realize that everyone has an opinion and is entitled to express it. The "gunscribes" are no exception but they get paid to write whether what they say is correct or not.

1) All barrels will burn out if treated wrong. High heat from energy intense loads, long grain/slow burning powders, large case to bore ratios and poor cleaning procedures all contribute to throat erosion. Lighter loads may not be the cure that you are looking for. How many shots will you fire in a season with your hunting rifle? Most of us are surprised at how few shots we really fire in a lifetime. Shoot your rifle and enjoy it.

2) If you're shooting from a bench to test your loads, you should wait for the barrel to cool before continuing to shoot. But I'll be dipped if I'll wait for my barrel to cool if I need another shot on game! Check for cooling by touching the barrel, it will vary.

3) All rifles and pistols should be cleaned after shooting, it's common sense.

4) I would guess that the "special" cleaning techniques would mean being careful in the throat area. But that should apply to all firearms as well as being careful at the muzzle. Push comes to shove, all barrels should be cleaned carefully as they are expensive to replace. Again common sense.

Read some more Reloading manuals and check some of the other reloading sites for high quality loads. The 264WM is a real Classic in my opinion.

Regards.