In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Flash Suppressor = Accuracy

GreyhorseGreyhorse Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I was out over the last weekend visiting several local dealers looking for an AR-15 and got some information that I think is highly questionable, could you guys help. I have been leaning towards the post ban models due the to price to usable features ratio, however I do want accuracy & longevity. I was told by a dealer that the pre ban is worth the extra money if for no other the reason you get the flash suppressor. He claims that the flash suppressor on a heavy barrel improves accuracy and barrel life due to relief of presure it the last such and so seconds of the bullet leaving the barrel, or some technical mumbo jumbo like that. The heavy barrel I agree with, to me the suppressor sound like someone trying to sell a gun. Does a flash suppressor have any other value than for flash suppression? Also I should add I have no intrest in re-sale value, except when I'm buying.

Comments

• Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BS!!
    You can bet your Happy * that if a FH helped accuracy it would be on every Benchrest and Silhouette gun.
    cpermd
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does the suppressor do anything for longevity of the barrel during high rates of fire or is this just B.S. as well, as I suspect.
  • Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This does sound like mumbo jumbo. Think about it logically--the only thing that's getting pushed out of the bore ahead of the bullet is air, and the hot gasses follow the bullet. Once the bullet leaves the barrel the compensator serves only to limit the climb of the rifle from recoil by diverting the exit direction of a portion of the gas; or in the case of a flash hider to conceal the flash and/or do the same thing as the compensator, depending on the design. So, the dealer is probably just trying to sell you a more expensive gun. Further, barrels wear out at the chamber (throat) end where the combustion occurs; and only at the muzzle due to abuse from cleaning rods, etc.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. You confirmed what I thought.