In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1911 autofire

Weatherby270MagWeatherby270Mag Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know why a Springfield model 1911 would start firing 3 rapid fire rounds with a single trigger pull. This happened to me twice out of 3 full magazines the other day and I decided I better put the weapon away untill I had a chance to ask you guy's your expert opinions. Is it gunsmith time or is there a easy fix for this problem? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Life is what passes you by while your making plans

Comments

• Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's gunsmith time for your pistol. If you would like, Springfield would be happy to fix it for you...probably at no cost. They are good folks and the don't want one of their products going full auto. Give them a call in the morning and ask for a service rep.

I've seen this before in 1911's when guys tried to do some home gunsmithing--usually trying to make the trigger "better." I was shooting next to a guy during a 900 match when his 1911 emptied itself with one pull of the trigger. The last two rounds went through the shed directly above his head. Needless to say, that broke concentration up and down the firing line.

And technically speaking, with firing more than one round with a single pull of the trigger, your 1911 is now a machinegun. For legal reasons, if no others, get it to the shop immediately.

My humble opinion,
    Rafter-S
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll ditto on this. Whenever you get a 1911 new used or back from the shop or having reassembled one, always load only one or two rounds at first and prove it. I forget what causes this but it's mentioned in the Kuhnhausen book.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    It has a bad sear or the sear/trigger interface is wrong.

Send it back to Springfield or take it to a competent gunsmith.
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    A sticky firing pen can cause this to happen as well. This can occur with weak or broken firing pen spring.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    GUNSMITH TIME......

Captain Kirk, Tech Staff
  • Options
    redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be a disconnector issue.

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99% of the time it is a sear that someone has "worked on".
    cpermd
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put a little more bend in the sear and disconnector blades of the three bladed flat spring under the mainspring housing. If you still get doubling,the sear or hammer notch needs repair/replacement so send the gun back for service.
  • Options
    Weatherby270MagWeatherby270Mag Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guy's...it's headed for the shop.

Life is what passes you by while your making plans
  • Options
    pactpact Member Posts: 104 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw this once on a Thompson 1911. I found that the center cut where the disconnector road was too narrow and binding on the disconnector just enough to allow it to fire a three shot burst. I suggest you send it back to Springfield.
  • Options
    hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not just Springfield's: Back in the '60s we had a base team for military .45 competition, and our Colt Gold Cup's had fairly light trigger pulls. They would now and then go full auto, and our indoor range had a collection of .45 caliber vents in the ceiling...