In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Diaassemble a ruger

bignickyhbignickyh Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I don't know what it is but I can't get this thing apart for the life of me. I picked up a P93 the other day and they lost the manual so I ordered one. I was tryin to get it apart to clean it but can't get the slide off It's been a week and still no manual from Ruger any help!

Comments

• Options
    rballirballi Member Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look down the slide from the top. You will see a lever that does not allow the slide to go forward. Push it down and the slide should slide forward. If it feel like it takes too much pressure to push it down, that's probably not the right lever. Also, make sure the mag is out.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its hard for me to explain,but first make sure its empty,remove the clip.Pull slide back 1/4 in,while holding it back remove the slide stop/disassembly cross pin.Hold the slide firmly and let it run down the rails,it will be under spring tension so hold firmley until reciever is removed.There you have it,its very simple.assembly goes in opposite of disassembly.If you still dont trust yourself wait on that owners manuel.Ruger usually is quick to send owners manuels.

Best!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I was doing sort of. Do you take the slide pin out completely or just till it clicks. It is only coming out till it clicks and when I try to move it forward the square part of the barrel is lifed through the slide so I can't get it off. Then again I don't have the pin completely out!
  • Options
    Short TraderShort Trader Member Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The pin shouldn't come completely out. See Rballi's post for one important step that Rugster forgot to mention. I don't know what its called, but its a lever located on the back of the mag well (inside). The top of it is bent forward and extends up into the ejection port - push it down, it will kind of cover the mag well from the top at an angle when it is pushed down.

When you get the slide off, take out the guide rod/recoil spring (they are together) then the bbl.

When you put it back together, be sure the above mentioned lever is still pushed down. Also, the recoil spring has two different sized openings - only one will fit back on the guide rod.

Finally, when all else fails, read the instructions in the manual

HTH

Buy low, short high...
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "ejector" has to be "folded down" before the slide can be removed.

With the cross pin all the way in place insert an empty magazine and pull the slide back--the slide will lock open.

Remove the magazine.

Look down into the open chamber; the ejector will be on the "left side" (gun pointing away from you).

Keep your thumb on the slide release; keep UPWARD pressure on the slide release so it cannot let the slide move forward.

Insert your finger into the chamber and "fold" the ejector forward and downward. (It will remain folded down.)

Now release the slide.

There are probably two alignment marks, one on the slide and one on the frame--ease the slide back to line up these marks. If there are no marks, ease the slide back about 1/4 inch.

Now push the cross pin out. It will remain "captive" in the frame, but should clear the slide.

The slide and barrel assembly should now move forward off the frame.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know what your talking about now. When I get home I will try it. What is the purpose of that just out of curiousity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks everyone Comp thanks for the step by step instructions very informative. This is going to be my 1st time cleaning a hand gun any pointers would be helpfull. I'm trying to get all the info I can. I feel stupid coming on here and asking for help cleaning a handgun, but if ya don't know alot about them ya don't would rather have someone who knows what they are talkin about help me even if it makes me look stupid.
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At the risk of sounding cliche: The only "dumb question" is the one that isn't asked.

You only learn if you ask questions about those things you don't know.

Ruger should have a manual to you in a few days if you've called for one already. Their description, with drawings, should be better than mine.

As for general cleaning:

I like Hoppes #9 for my barrel; I use a bronze brush if there is heavy residue in the barrel. And let it soak overnight if there is a lot of copper fouling.

For the rest, I use WD-40 (a lot of guys here don't like it). I spray it in the action (the parts in the frame), spray it on the spring and slide, then use compressed air to clean it out. (Wear saftey glasses!). I then use a light dusting of Hoppes powdered teflon lubricant (Hoppes Item # 3062). The thin oil residue left from the WD-40 attracts the powdered teflon.

Sometimes I'll use a little molydium disulfide grease at critical high friction areas. And will use a heavier oil if the gun is going to be stored, rather than used.

Others may have suggestions (but this thread might be locked after about 10 responses so you may want to ask for suggestions on the General Discussion board; they let threads grow larger there).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you everyone helped alot!!!!!!!!!