In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mini-14 question

StukaStuka Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Any Mini-14 owners here? I am thinking of buying one, but I have a question. If I buy a brand new one, will it accept the older mini-14 high cap. mags?
I have seen used Mini-14's that are "Pre-Ban" and I want to make sure before I buy a new one I it will accept a 20 or 30 rd mag. Has something been done to the newer mini-14's that will prevent me from using a high cap. mag.?
Thanks a bunch.

Comments

• Options
    PiadeaPiadea Member Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is no difference between them. Either will except "pre-ban" mags.

"Those who stand for nothing will fall for anything."
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Piadea has already stated, there is no difference; there have been no changes in the Mini-14.

Be aware though, that there are a LOT of low quality aftermarket Mini-14 mags "floating around"--infact I suspect this is the source of the confusion which has led to people thinking some change has been made to the rifle. They buy a new Mini-14, try to use one of the poor quality "pre-ban" magazines; it doesn't work and they conclude that Ruger has changed the gun.

(Others here can discuss the "pre/post" issue about the Mini-14 and explain that only the GB model was an "official" pre-94 "assault rifle"; other Mini-14's in "assault configurations" are only legal if they were in that condition before the 1994 Bill as they are "grandfathered" now.)
  • Options
    lrarmsxlrarmsx Member Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To continue that thought... If the magazine is what you would consider reasonable in price, IE. $12-25.00, it is most likely is one of the magazines that the Competentone is refering to. Unfortunately, unlike the AR-15 where there are a number of reliable mags available, the Mini 14 has only a few reliable options, factory Ruger, PMI, and possibly Thermold. Some have had acceptable results with USA, others couldn't throw them far enough after having problems with them. The Victor's, Western's, and "no name" ones out there are nothing but trouble from the word go. The ones that the wholesalers have available in quantity for little money, inevitably will be the ones that you don't want. They don't fit and/or lock in the gun. The feed lips are thin and mis-shaped. The body of the magazine is also made from thinner steel and won't hold up. You'll find the PMI ones to be 2-3 times the price of the cheap ones, but they work every time. The factory Ruger mags haven't been made for the public since 1989, so they are hard to find and outrageously priced when you do find them. USA's can be hit or miss.

The question is: Do you buy 3 crappy mags at $15 each or one good one for $45? At least with buying the one good one, you'll actually have a mag to use when it is all said and done. I've had, used, and sold Mini 14 mags for years. There are only a few that I would personally trust, the rest I might, and only might, take to the range, but I would never trust my life to them. I set some PMI's aside for my personal gun back in 1994. Since then I have sold a lot of Mini magazines, I've never had to take a PMI back because it didn't work. I've accidently gotten a few of the really crappy ones, which I wouldn't sell to anyone. Like I said, the USA's are hit and miss, but they are still better than what most suppliers are offering today. The few PMI's that I have left are expensive, but at least I know that when I sell one of those, the person will not have any problems. LRARMSX@MCHSI.COM
  • Options
    kanjiikanjii Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 10rd mags which I bought a few years ago. Never used. They say John Masen mags are one of the better ones.
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had great luck with the Ramline combo mags...they fit both the mini and the AR.

I also had great luck with the Eagle or Millet lexan body, roller spring mags. These hold 35rd and have a peg and hole setup on the mag body to jungle clip 2 mags together without a special adapter. Two heavy rubber o-rings wrap around both mags...to prevent accidental seperation. I bought a bunch of these about 2 or so years ago for about 25 bux a piece. It was a great deal. I am almost positive I bought them from gunbroker seller Clliiff. I doubt he has any more....but it wouldn't hurt to message him.

Both the Ramline and Eagle mags insert easily and function great.

I have two PMI mags. Both insert and function fine, but I like the Eagle mags better.

The USA mags...just plan suck. Some require adjust ment to get them to insert and lock in easily and correctly. So require feed lip addjustment for the rounds to sit properly in the mag and to feed correctly.

Edited by - Diablo on 10/30/2002 12:33:36
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had great luck with the Ramline combo mags...they fit both the mini and the AR.

You ever try firing your Mini 14 with those Ramline mags. They don't work! At least not in mine. Oh sure they lock in and feed 4rds out of 20. And oh by the way don't drop one of those Ramlines on the ground. They will shatter!

Opinions are like Ah@les, everyone has one.
  • Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 of the Ramline combo mags. The last time I took the MINI out, I loaded both mags several times with 30rounds and rapid fired every round without a jam. They worked great for me. I was very impressed with them.

I also used the Eagle mags. I bought about 8 of those. They run great too.

I run about 300+ rounds through the mini with in 10-20 minutes. The barrel was too hot to touch. It probably took 20mintues for the barrel to cool down. It was still warm 45 mintues aftert shooting.

The PMI work....but I like the Eagles
  • Options
    SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    I have some cheapie 30 rounders not sure who made them. They work ok, but you have to have some pliers handy occasionally :). I have to make adjustments to them sometimes to get them to work correctly (bend the metal a bit where the front hole locks into the mag well). Also, they don't lock into the mag well too reliably if their completely full and the bolt is closed. If I want to insert the mags with the bolt closed I only load like 27 or 28 cartridges and they seem to insert ok.