In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7mm WSM

dwardwar Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone make reloading dies for these wsm cartridges? Or reloadable brass?

Raymond Kreiger

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Trying to deside which rifle to buy for white tail deer hunting:
    1. 7 mm WSM
    2. 7 mm Mag.
    3. 30-06
    Shooting range 150-500 yards. People have told me that the 7mmMag will be too big. Need some advise on the 7mm WSM. I know for sure that the 30-06 will be suitable. Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, DG (rookie hunter)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Trying to deside which rifle to buy for white tail deer hunting:
    1. 7 mm WSM
    2. 7 mm Mag.
    3. 30-06
    Shooting range 150-500 yards. People have told me that the 7mmMag will be too big. Need some advise on the 7mm WSM. I know for sure that the 30-06 will be suitable. Your advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, DG (rookie hunter)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just bought a new 7mm wsm and am lookin for a good load for it for elk? I will be reloading so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Was looking at the swift scirocco bullets but dont know much about them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    does anyone reload this. i want to use 139gr. hornady sst. not sure of powder. all powder hornady has listed i do not have. any ideas on which powder to try? thanks
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do any of you own a rifle in 7mm WSM? How do you like it and how do you think it compares to the Remingtom 7mm Magnum? Have you experienced any feeding problems? I'm considering buying a Model 70 in this caliber. Any information appreciated.

"Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away." Thoreau
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    This is just one guys opinion. If you are only going to shoot 100-150 yards you don't need either of the three. Why subject yourself to the recoil(although not bad) of these 3 when a 7mm-08, 260Remington or the tried and true 25-06 or 270 Winchester would perform great at those ranges? I have shot all of the calibers and killed whitetails with most of them and for a short to medium range rifle the smaller calibers do an excellent job. GHD
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, rookie hunter I am a big fan of the 30-06 and I have killed deer at 200 yards. What is the deal with 500 yard shots? That is really long for that round, there are so many things that can go wrong. Such as, a 5mph wind that you could ignore at 100 yards could cause a wounded deer at 500. You could mis-estimate the distance and get the elevation wrong. If you pulled 3 inches to the right on a lung shot, no problem at 100 yards. At 500 yards that is fifteen inches to the right, and a gut shot. Where are you hunting that you would take such long shots on a deer? Most of the long range experts on this forum, and I am not one, say a 300 yard shot is pretty long.At 300 yards the 30-06 is a great deer slayer, the other two I am not familiar with.

Edited by - allen griggs on 10/29/2002 13:37:13
  • Options
    bullhaulerbullhauler Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice would be the wsm. better than the rem. mag in ballistics. I too wonder why you would shoot whitetail at 500 yds. Those shots are reserved for people who shoot hundreds and hundreds of rounds at such ranges and can do so accurately(that means no more than 1.5moa groups EVERY time). GHD reccomending a .260, 7mm-08, or 25-06 is out of his head. those are fine out to about 250-300 yds and the 7mm-08 in an ackley imp. loses enough energy to be considered ethically lethal past 400. My advice would be the wsm first then the rem. mag. Shoot bullets in the 160grain+ range and make damn sure you are competent at long ranges before you go out hunting.

welcome to America...now speak english or get the ****out
  • Options
    SunraySunray Member Posts: 773 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    500 yards is too far for anyone to be shooting at deer with anything. The kill zone on a deer is too small to be risking shots at that distance. Especially, for a new guy. Think in terms of a 9" pie plate. That becomes a wee dot at 500 yards(it's a wee dot at 200 too) and most people have no comprehension of what a deer looks like at that distance. Mind you, depending on where you are, the chances of you even seeing a deer at 500 yards is extremely low.
    Having said that, I'd lean towards the .30-06. The 7mm Mag is too much gun for deer. The 7mm WSM is just too expensive. There's nothing like the versatility of a .30-06 for all round shooting. Except for a .308.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also agree with GHD,but I would go with the 7mm Rem Mag.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    ka11ka11 Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, Allen Griggs & Bullhauler are right. I suggest get a more veritile gun like the 30-06 or, my favorite a 308. I've got a Remmington model 660 .308 and love it. Whitetail fall fast at 150-200 yards and if you want to have some extra fun, and don't might a sore sholder, shoot some ground hogs with.
  • Options
    ZwickeymanZwickeyman Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have to agree with the others I think 500 yards is to far to shoot Whitetail. The rifle I would choose is the 7 MM Rem Mag. It is a great long distance deer thumper but I still would not suggest shooting Whitetail much past 350 yards or so. Even if the conditions ar perfect I would not recommend a 500 yard shot as allot can happen to cause a bad shot. At 500 yards you can shoot a 7 mag and then look and watch the bullet hit, during that time a deer may take a step that could cause bad shot placement. Well with all that said I still like my 7MM mag for deer but only when I will be hunting big open country where shots to 350 are more the norm. My favorite rifle for deer when hunting my normal hunting spot is a 270 winchester. Just one man opinion.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK...... I gotta stir it

If you are proficient at 500yds, and I MEAN proficient, (MOA groups), then 500yd shots on whitetail are no problem with either of the calibers mentioned. If you can group 4" at 500yds, then you are shooting just as well as some of the guys who think a 1-1 1/2" group at 100yds is acceptable, they are only only shooting MOA groups. The 30/06 would have the most elevation loss at 500, but still plenty of power left, as for the 7mm mag and WSM, they are flatter, but all 3 have power to spare at 500yds, especialy with a 160gr bullet. That being said, the only caveat is your ability or lack there of. If you can group MOA at 500, then their is nothing unethical about shooting deer at that distance. This of course will require extensive time on the bench, at the reloading table, and handing over your hard earned money, to do so. A scope with target turrets and appropriate magnification, a range finder, and some gunsmithing are the begginings of the right combination. If you have a capable rifle and equipment, and are confident in your ability, go for it. Just don't go taking pot shots and call it skill,......that's unethical.

As for the 7mm mag, I shot several deer on crop damage permits this summer at 350yds , and I can tell you from experience, there is so much power left over, it's unreal. They flip on their side before hitting the ground, and the exit hole is the size of a softball!!! That's real results from a 150gr nosler balitic tip out of a 26" heavy fluted barrel,....therefore, 500yds is well within the power range of that caliber. Don't doubt the caliber,...DOUBT THE SHOOTER!!! Operator error is what has to be eliminated,... the bullet is up to the task.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wellsaidJUSTC....mywifespilledpopontthekeyborardsodonthavespacebarfunction:-)
    doc
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    I guess all of ya'll thought ole GHD was crazy when you read my post!! I did not catch the 100-500 yard part! I read 1-150 yards!! As far as the 500 yard shots on deer ya'll will have to give the advice because I'm not going to take the shot!! GHD