In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AP M2 GI ammo question.

HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I bought a partial can of AP M2 ammo. It is in the small GI metal box with removable hinged lid. Here is what is unusual about it. The box is marked, 252 cal .30 cartridges AP M2 Layer Pack Lot LC-13601. The cartridges are head stamped LC 54 (I already know that means Lake City 1954). I have only seen the .30-'06 cartridges come in clips, boxes, or linked, never in layers with cardboard dividers between each layer. Does anyone know the reason for packing ammo this way? TIA

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon, I have shot a lot of match ammo and it all came in boxes. The earliest headstamp I recall was FA 57. NM M1 rifle production started in 1954. It may be that this ammo was what was used for matches before the Match Grade ammo went into production. I believe the AP shot a little more accurately and probably had a better trajectory than the M2 Ball. The AP weighed 166 grains and the AP only 150. I hope someone can come up with the answer. I will be at the gun show in Little Rock on Sat of this coming weekend. Come by if you are in town.
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herschel, I've been collecting US military ammo for 25+ years and have never heard of such a thing. From the can markings, I'm sure it's legit, but the purpose escapes me. I'm going to forward this to a real expert. Likely will not have an answer for some time, but will try to get back to you via eml or this topic.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i saw an older gent out at camp perry(national matches) that kept his ammo stored/stacked in that fashion. he only shot AP ammo in matches. i`ve been told the bullet wieght is more consistant, and that the AP round is very accuratte. many match shooters swear by AP for accuraccy.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.