In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 10FP or Leupold Problem:U B The Judge!!

Point BlanksPoint Blanks Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Here's the problem best i can describe:

I bought a new .308 Savage 10FPLE-2 and a new Leupold VX-II 4-12X40 AO last month or so.I bought Millet 2 peice bases and regular heighth rings,turn in style.After installing bases and rings i proudly lower the Leupold,make sure she's sittin right,and tightened her down.I go out in the yard with bolt removed and rested her on bags, to boresight at 25-50 yards saving me the trouble at the range.Well,at say 50 yards my scope is very high, so i begin to crank the adjustment lower,and lower,and lower untill i am max'd out but still high boresighting at 50 yards!!!Next morning i take it to a gunsmith who trys boresighting with a collameter(spelling)but scratches head and starts removing my scope.He set 2 steel rods,1 in each ring and slowly brought them together and they met like simeaze twins...meaning the bases and rings were correct.So he hands me the scope and sadly tells me i need to send it to Leupold as the elevation adjustments were out of wack as he couldnt get it boresighted either(low enough).So i send it to Leupold and get it back very fast with a note saying they replaced my erector,but she's good to go now...So,i mount her again and waddle outside to boresight her at 50yards...SAME PROBLEM!! I could not get the crosshairs to center on my 50 yard target,even fully lowered adjustments!! So,i tell myself,no biggie...i will buy the Burris Signature rings and order inserts too instead of shimming the rear with coke cans!!!! Well,to make a VERY long story shorter, my rear ring has a +20 insert and my front ring has a -10 insert meaning i am -30" at 100 yards?? With this kind of "shimming" she boresights almost perfectly with the elevation centered.If anyone has read my little story this far(thanks!!)what in tarnation is wrong here????A big thx fer anyone's two cents!! BTW...with it setup like that i managed very good groups yesterday at 100 yards,even though my scope is sitting on my rifle looking like an old hot rod car....looks like the back is all jacked up with front end lowered!!!!!!!
P.S...even though 2 gunstore workers looked at it,is it possible that the heavy barrel FP uses a higher front mount then a fluted Savage barrel?? Lost in Atlanta........................

Edited by - Point Blanks on 10/30/2002 12:47:35

Edited by - Point Blanks on 10/30/2002 12:51:32

Edited by - Point Blanks on 10/30/2002 12:52:16

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, so did you order long range bases? These typicaly have 20 degree and even 40degree taper to allow 1000+ yd shooting. Now, even if they are not supposed to be long range bases, take a micrometer and measure them anyway, to see if they were packaged wrong. If there is .020"-.050" difference in them, that is what happened.

Next, I am not familiar with Savage stuff, so bear with me, are the bases slightly different heights? And does it appear that the front or rear area of the reciever is higher than the other end? If that is the case, you have the bases on backwards.

Other than that, I say leupold's problem,.....still.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Millet bases are just regular Savage 2 peice,not long range,etc.They are the windage adjustable kind and the one with the windage screws are on the rear.The base on the rear(windage adj.)is taller (thicker)than the front.The smith put to "rods" on each ring and drew them together slowly and they met perfectly so he told me the rings and bases were correct....baffled in Atlanta........
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, on the up side, if you want to shoot 1000yds with the rifle, you have all the up adjustment MOA you need to get you there.

A great rifle with a junk scope,....is junk.
  • Options
    bmxrcbmxrc Member Posts: 41 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had slimmer problem I change my base out. I two had millett 2pc. and shot 16" low @ 50yards I got Leupold std ring and sold std base
    Good to go now. I have 12bvss .308
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You know,i sure wish i didnt just get done spending $50 on the Burris rings along with the inserts!!! Wish i would have changed the bases out before trying to "bandaid" my problem...