In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Home defence

50cal50cal Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
I live in an apartment. I was thinking of getting something in a .32 or .380. I figured these were good chocies. I don't want anything that is going to go through the next wall. I have .40glock .445 super mag but I think they are a bit to big for this. Anyone with suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    DiabloDiablo Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fire Axe.....that would be nice

Flash bang grenade with a Louisville as a follow up.

How about a 12ga with less than lethal rubber rounds.

I don't think you want the liability of any rounds going into the next apt and injuring or killing someone.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can buy ammunition specificaly designed not to penetrate. it is designed to fragment on impact. i aplaud the fact that you stopped to think of the niebhors. a pump action 12 or 20 gauge shotgun using #7 1/2 shot is ideal for your needs. at the distances encountered in a residence this is a one shot stop load. the longest distance in a typical residence is in a hallway or a stairwell, and this load is perfect at those distances.

for handguns try BEE-SAFE, MAGSAFE, GLASER, etc... all designed to "explode" and fragment on impact without going through the wall, across the street, and into someone.

hope this helps.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't think that a .32 or .380, just because they are smaller pistol calibers, won't penetrate walls in apartments. I have a buddy who unintentionally fired a .32 pistol in his living room. The bullet went through his hand shattering two knuckels and a finger, penetrated two sheets of sheetrock, went through the den, penetrated one more sheet of sheetrock before embedding half through a 2X4 wall stud. I won't say who else was narrowly missed, but his wife was not impressed.

For what that's worth,
    Rafter-S
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the shotgun theory. It does not even have to be a 12 ga.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The story of Rafter's friend, who's wife may well have tossed him out of the house and is now living in Rafter's garage, is an excellent example of the penetration that these smaller jacketed bullets have.
    The problem is that nearly FMJ bullet moving at 800fps or more is going to go through sheetrock or lathe plaster with little effort. Most of the smaller automatic pistols simply won't function well without the use of jacketed bullets and that leads right back to the problem of penetration.

I have alaways felt that the most under appreciated home defence cartridge was the old .44 Special. With the standard factory load pushing the old 246gr RN lead bullet, this old war horse won't break 800fps on its best day in 100 years! The big soft slug is a very effective man-stoppper at home defence ranges, does not kick too hard, and is available in a number of pretty good revolvers- like Taurus, at fair prices. The best part is that if you miss, the slow moving, fat old bullet won't go very deep into anything it hits. Don't kid yourself, it will still go through a sheetrock wall, but it wont have much velocity on the other side and the lead bullet will be pretty well deformed and hopefully no too deadly.

If you must go the handgun route I think that this is your best bet. A shotgun with some of the loads suggested would be fine as long as the over length is not an issue in your defence plans. Going from room to room with a shotgun can be much slower than with a pistol and if rapid movments from room to room may be part of your plans, I'd go with the pistol. Keep a shotgun available if caught off gaurd in your bedroom as it is the most effective defence weapon available.

Mark T. Christian
  • Options
    raskilraskil Member Posts: 250 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider a Remington 870 20ga youth model or pick up a used 870 at a local pawn shop. You won't be interested in a perfect condition so don't worry about the blueing or choke. As long as the mechanical function is good, you can cut down the barrel(not less than 18.5 inches) and stock for easier mobility indoors. You can put a clip on fiber sight on the front and Rustolium the barrel/receiver/stock. Remember this is for home defense, not for the field or skeet range. A new 870 express goes for $199-230 around here, so you should be able to get a used 870 in good condition around $140-170. Good luck!
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    Don't let the fear of penetration stop you from buying whatever caliber firearm you want. The trick nowdays is in the ammunition. There are several varieties of ammo that are designed to impart their energy as close to the point of entry as possible. The GLASER SAFTEY SLUG comes to mind in particular, but others are being made. The "Eliminator X" is a new one out. These types of cartridges, while a bit expensive, are just the ticket for use in a firearm for home defense, where penetration of walls is a concern. They virtually expolde upon impact, fragmenting into shards of shrapnel. Some of these consist of bullets that are loaded with bird shot, when the round strikes something, the birdshot just tears a nasty crater into whatever it is it strikes. The jacket becomes just more shrapnel to add to the mess. If you were using a 9mm round, it would be about the equivalent of putting a 9mm birdshot loaded shotgun against your opponent and firing. There is very, very little penetration through things like sheet rock. Just one big nasty crater. This type of situation is just what they were designed for.

These are generally available in packs of six. Considering you really don't need more than a couple of packs, the cost is not that prohibitive, around 10 to 20 bucks for a pack of 6. They come in several calibers, including most 9mm calibers, 38 Special, .357, 41 mag, 44 Special, 44 Mag, 45ACP, etc, etc.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For home defense: My Mossberg 12ga. 500 pistol-grip "Persuader" (lol!) w/ #6 birdshot. Nothin' like a shotgun, for "close encounters".
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The shotgun with bird shot is a real man killer at the close ranges found inside an apartment. You could get a piece of sheetrock and two 2 by 4s. Nail the sheetrock to both sides of the 2 by 4s, take them to the range and try it out.
  • Options
    mballaimballai Member Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd recommend the 38 Special revolver. Reliable gun and adequate penetration at close range. I wouldn't be too concerned with over penetration if you hit what you are aiming at. If a round doesn't have enough penetration, you won't have the stopping effect you are using a gun to achieve.

Three Precious Metals: Gold, silver and lead