In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mossberg SSi-one

gdarnellgdarnell Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
hello;

does anyone know something about the mossberg ssi-one single shot rifle? quality, accurate, etc.? thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just bought a Mossberg SSi-one and has about an 8 pound trigger pull. Does anyone know of any manufacturers that make a trigger for this or know how to reduce this pull?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anyone shot one of these rifles yet? How do they compare accuracy wise? As always thanks for your replies
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    hahaha...your kidding me...sorry, its just I've been curious as to what these firearms were like. I was kinda looking into getting one myself. Besides the trigger pull, hows the fit and finish?
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a good Gun Smith can adjust your trigger.They are built very well in my opinion.There very reliable and slowly becomeing the single most popular Rifle for African Safari's.

Best!!!

Rugster

Toujours Pret
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hahaha...your kidding me...sorry, its just I've been curious as to what these firearms were like. I was kinda looking into getting one myself. Besides the trigger pull, hows the fit and finish?

It's not funny now, so don't be laughing! Just kidding. The fit is super tight. Too tight. It breaks down and looks like the old shotguns and was so tight I would have to put it over my knee to open it. Spent some time on it with a file and it's much better. The wood finish is great and looks good for the price of the gun. The metal finish is a little different than what I thought it would be. It's supposed to be a "matte" finish, but it's really a real flat matte finish with no lustre at all. Some people may appreciate this, but I like a little bit of lustre. I've shot it about 20 times and it's very accurate and feels good to shoot. Worked on the trigger some and dropped it about 2 pounds. Check with me before you buy. I haven't fallen in love with it yet, so it may go on the auction block.
  • Options
    Borealis BobBorealis Bob Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've not heard nor read anywhere that this is becoming a popular safari rifle. Single-shots appear to be wa-a-ay down the list of action types used, with bolt actions predominating, followed by double rifles. Most hunters use the 30-06 for small-to-medium size plains game and use a much larger caliber ( 9.3 X 62, 375H&H, .416 etc.) for the remainder. Other calibers ( 7MM Mag., 300 Win., .338 etc.)are as, or more, popular than the '06 for this use.

The Mossberg tops-out at 30-06, rendering it useless as an all -around safari rifle. Where did you get your information, Rugster?
    I have been planning a safari for months on end, reading and talking with many experienced African hunters, and no one has ever mentioned this rifle.

Edited by - Borealis Bob on 10/31/2002 08:26:03