In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Screw size...

Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Anybody know what the screw size is for the cartridge guide screws on a post 64 Win. 94?
Retired LEO
Combat Vet VN
D.A.V Life Member

Comments

• Options
    Der GebirgsjagerDer Gebirgsjager Member Posts: 1,673 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to try and help......but looking at the parts numbers in the G.P. Corp. catalog it would appear that the part numbers are different depending on just how post '64 the rifle is. What, exactly, are you after? The screw diameter, such as size 6, T.P.I., length? Unless you're missing the screws from both cartridge guides, I believe that they're the same and you should be able to get the data from the remaining screw. If you give me an approx. serial no. of the one you're working on I can pull one, take out a screw and mike it for you (mine are in the 3 & 4 million range). You can find (or I'll look up for you) pre '64 specs in Brownell's Encyclopedia.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Der....Thanks for the help!! It has a SR# 3615XXX. I got screwed by GP and have to drill a new screw hole in the (NEW) cartridge guide in order to make it function correctly. I wasn't aware Brownell's had an "Encyclopedia" but have also requested the info from their tech. support...No answer yet. I'm guessing it to be a 5-40 but would like to make sure first. You wouldn't happen to have a "pair" of 44mag guides collecting dust anywhere?
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Negative on the .44 Mag. guides. It is also apparent in looking at the parts book that guides for different calibers take different screws. I will pull a 3 million series gun from my collection and give you all the specifics--but that will have to be Thursday. Mine will be a .30-30. Didn't know yours is a .44--the following information should be of help: From Gun Parts Corp. Catalog #23, page 987, Key #21, Mfr. #22544, Item #301220 Cartridge Guide, Right Hand, .44 Mag. Cal. $6.25; Key #19, Mfr. #22444, Item #301100 Cartridge Guide Left Hand, .44 Mag. $12.95; Key #25 Mfr. #22644, Item #301310 Cartridge Guide Screw, .44 Mag. (2 Req'd), $2.20. These are the correct parts for a post-64 .44 Mag., pre-angle eject rifle. Might be easier to reorder than trying to drill the guides as they are usually hardened. 845-679-4867.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I appreciate your help. The 44 guides are the same screw size as the former 30-30 guides. GP is sold out of left hand 44 guides! I have ordered several taps from Brownell's and should get by. If not I'll improvise.. Thanks again for your help..I ordered their 44/40 conversion kit.....but it's been one disappointment after another!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is your answer, from #4832XXX: Flat Fillister type, head thickness is .067, Size 4 screw--diameter .111, 48 threads per inch, .327 overall length. Lots of gun companies use oddball size screw thread/screw size combinations so that you have to order the part from them. I doubt that you will be able to successfull retap for the more common 4-40 thread. I have some rounded fillister head screws in 4-48, and will mail you a couple if you want to send your mailing address to ccnorth@teleport.com. They are out of the Brownell's Handy Jo screw assortment. You could file the heads flat if you don't like their appearance and cold blue them.