In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

1909 Argentine mauser question

johnbjohnb Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited October 2002 in Ask the Experts
Looked at one today that has matching numbers but cal 30-06 stamped on barrel.Can a barrel be replaced and still have matching numbers?also what is the going price for them, avg cond.. thanks

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    They probably just recut the chamber out to 30.06 in the original barrel. That's a bad idea on that particular gun, because the bore is .002 larger than a standard 30.06 (7.62 vs 7.65). The 30.06 is also too high of a pressure cartridge for this receiver.

I think I would walk away from this one.

Nice 7.65's are running $125 to $175 around here.

The NRA is on our side!

Edited by - dheffley on 10/30/2002 23:19:50
  • redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    johnb:

I second dheffley's comments; he is on the mark.

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • poopahpoopah Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Guys,Is'nt a 1909 a M-98.The hinged triggergaurds sure fit good on the 98s I've put them on.The 7.65-06 conversion was very popular 3or4 decades ago(lack of 7.65 ammo).Some of them were pretty good shooters.My 2 cents worth,Roger
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 1909 Argentine is built on a '98 action, so it will handle the pressure of the 30-06. Don't know about the bore diameter problem. The Argentine round was 7.65 so on paper it is larger than the 30-06. No, if you get a new barrel you will no longer have matching numbers.

Edited by - allen griggs on 10/31/2002 07:32:31
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,021 ******
    edited November -1
    POOHPAH HAS IT RIGHT, MANY 1909'S WERE SIMPLY RECHAMBERED TO .30/06 AND MOST SHOT WELL (HUNTING ACCURACY). .002" LARGER BORE DIA WILL STILL SHOOT 2" GROUPS @100 YRDS. MANY 1917 ENFIELDS WERE MADE UP WITH BARRELS ORIGINALY INTENDED FOR THE .303 BRITISH (P-14, .311 GROVE DIA.)) AND THEY SHOT OK.
    edited November -1
    John, now you can have your cake and eat it, too. You can get a great military mauser that is matching, yet not in the obscure Argentine 7.65 caliber. I saw a box of that in soft nose from Norma, $35. for 20 shots. My book says of the 1909 Argentine, "These rifles are a collector's dream when found in "as issued" condition, since they never saw combat and only suffered minor handling dings and bruises." What are they asking for this rifle?
  • redcedarsredcedars Member Posts: 919 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is re-chambered to .30-06, it is not "as issued".

redcedars

"The true art of war lies in so sapping your opponent's will to fight that he surrenders without battle." Sun Tzu
  • system98system98 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding German Manufacture Modello 1909 Argentine actions. The manufacturing differences between it and the Normal military type contract arms made for various countries . Heat treat variations among some contracts versus others, what can and should be done about them et al. With the Arg. this involves 45 years and probably upwards of 450-500 rockwell hardness tested receivers. (and bolts)
    I had prepared a disertation on this and lost it in some kind of network trouble when I punched up the wrong keys trying to complete the last paragraph after a failure warning. Inasmuch as it may have been more than anyone in his right mind ever wanted to know on the subject count your blessings. If ,however there is some interest I am willing to try again.

Thos.M. Burgess
    edited November -1
    Red Cedars you are right, it is not "as issued". But it is close. It still has the original barrel and it is matching. System 98 are you saying that you have Rockwell hardness tested over 450 Argentine 1909 receivers? If so, I am interested, at least in a summary. How good is this receiver, and is it plenty strong for the 30-06? I understand that all model 98s are strong enough for the 30-06 but am always willing to learn. My book says that about 80,000 of these were made in Argentina and an unknown number made in Germany. I am of the understanding that all the 98 German receivers are about the same.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess the results are variable. I got one a while back and after cleaning, a .308 bullet would fall half way down the barrel and could be pushed the rest of the way with a cleaning rod and two fingers. I have thought the 09 was one of the more desireable to rebarrel and sporterize due to the hinged floorplate and overall smoothness.

Mobuck