In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What is it and does it have any value?

violetgalvioletgal Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited September 2003 in Ask the Experts
I inherited this revolver from my uncle. There are pictures at the URL below. I can send larger pictures if you need them. I've been told it is probably a Remington. It is terribly corroded and worn, much worse than the pictures show. I am wondering what model it is and if it has any value in this corroded condition. The barrel is 7 1/2 in. from the end to where it butts the cylinder. The lettering that's not worn off on the top of the barrel next to the cylinder looks like a bold E. next to a much lighter R and quite a bit further over WYORK.U.S A. My questions: what model is it? Do you think in this condition it has any value? Is it worth repairing and where do I go to get it repaired while preserving it's value. I appreciate your help. http://www.knology.net/~williamt/gun/

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    Looks like a Remington, you might ask "Powdersmoke" here about the gun, he's an avid enthusiast of the black powder stuff. It might be a replica too, a lot of those running around.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a Remington. Civil War period. In that condition worth $100 to $300 depending on who wants it and what for. It does appear restorable. Not worth the cost of restoring except as a personal hobby-challenge. Now and then I get into such a restoration job of by own and spend $1000 worth of time and effort to produce a product worth half that. I made a video of one. Even so there is satisfaction in bringing a piece back from 'the brink of oblivion' if you have the desire and skill to do it yourself. Estimate 50 to 100 hours work restoring it to respectable external visual conditon. I have been a professional restorer since the 1960s but would not take on such a relic for pay. As for getting it restored and preserving its value, what value?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Since it has little value, my son can have the fun (to him, it's fun) of working on it. He will happily spend 100 hours restoring this gun (especially if at the end it is worth about $500 - is that what you were saying it might be worth restored?). My next question is: how do we find out how to go about restoring it. Is there a book, pamplet, website or anything that would help him learn how to even start. He knows nothing about old guns. He needs to learn how to proceed from the first step. Any suggestions where we can learn?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another question. Do you know what model this might be? There is no room for "New Model" to be printed on the barrel. The U.S.A. butts up against the gun body (sorry, I don't know guns or gun terminology). The barrel is 7 1/2" long measured right up to the cylinder and is 7/16" (.44 ?) inside diameter. This doesn't seem to fit standard models.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Remington Army .44 should have a barrel of 8" measured from the front of the cylinder. There is a .36 cal Navy model that has a 7 3/8" barrel. You can confirm whether it Army or Navy by measuring the bore. A bore about 3/8" would make it a .36, Navy, the Army would be closer to 7/16" bore. Measuring at the mouth of the cylinder would probably be best. Value restored depends altogether on the quality of the work. A real professional job might bring it close to $1000. Amateurish but carefully done and with the missing parts replaced would put it closer to $500. Parts are availble from several sources, Dixie Gun Works for one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've measured several times. It keeps coming up to 7 1/2" barrel and 7/16" bore. I don't understand, but there it is. Any ideas?
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unless I am mistaken, isn't there supposed to be a latch on the barrel for the loading lever to lock onto? Also the loading lever is missing. That is what threw me.
  • Options
    PythonPython Member Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're revolver, or whats left of it, appears to by a Remington,model 1858 Army. It appears to have the 7 1/2 inch barrel and is probably a .44. In it's present condition it's only value would br sentimentle. If, as you state, the rusting and corrosion is worse than appears in pic's, it would not be a canidate for restoration. Severe corrosion can change heat treatment of the steel and with all the missing parts, the cost to restroe would be extreme. It does not appear to have had adjustable sight,so, this eliminates it being a target model. Sorry I could'nt be more positive.
    John

Kill all the lawyers and the world will be much better for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Flayderman only lists Remington .44 armys to have 8" barrels. Right about rammer missing, rammer latch missing, misfit center pin, trigger screw missing, etc etc. Also correct that restoration would not be an economic proposition. As for possibility of restoratiion, I have restored worse to fully functional conditon, looking good and lettering replaced. Typical of several of my personal projects, I put a $1000 effort into a piece that is only worth $500 in the end. It is fun and has a lot of satisfaction bringing something back from the 'brink of oblivion'.

Even so, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a fontal lobotomy.
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Looks to me like a Model 1861 with a cut back loading lever. Most of the loading lever is definately missing.

Put it in a frame and hang it on the wall. Tell your friends your great-great-grandmother joined the Army disguised as a man, and carried this pistol at Gettysburg. [:D]